cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websafe / Childsafe switched on, mobile used for tethering to internet. I didn't activate it.

AllPointsNorth1
Up to speed

I have a problem which is preventing me from accessing my normal adult level services.  I have enjoyed uninterrupted service until this evening, when, while trying to download something, I received a massive warning saying that my "#childsafe settings have blocked access to this website". 

Now, this is a mystery. I'm nearly 50, I have no children in the house or attached to my account, and I did not activate this service.  I called Virgin Mobile customer care on 789, and they said "of course, sorry about that, we'll switch it off for you, it's because we've migrated to O2's towers and this has switched on automatically".

No problem I thought, I'll leave it at that and see what happens.  Well, it's still not switched off, and I still cannot access the service I *choose* to visit as an adult, without getting this whacking great warning which makes me feel like I'm either a kid, or some sort of perv.

If there's anyone on here who knows how to deal with this, please let me know.  For the record, my parental controls are switched off for my Virgin Mobile Account, I've checked that in the app, and I'm not a Virgin Media customer for any other services, so I can't log into "My Virgin Media" on the web, to check there, as I don't have a VM account number and area ref.

Many thanks for any help you can give me!

APN1
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you over a private message to help out with this. 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

Anonymous
Not applicable

This happened on my o2 sim when I had to tether for a few days.

I logged into my o2 account, flipped the 18+ settings on then back off OR off then back on and the problem fixed itself.

Dunno why it enabled itself on the first place

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AllPointsNorth1,

Welcome back to our community forums and sorry to hear you are having an issue with websafe.

We can understand the inconvenience caused. Just to confirm, how long has this been ongoing for? Have you also checked the websafe setting for your internet provider? Also, does this issue occur only on your mobile device or other devices? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi @Akua_A. It's been like this since Wednesday of last week (13 July).  My internet provider is Virgin mobile, because I don't have a fixed line connection at my home. I tether using my Samsung A03s.

What makes it confusing is that according to my mobile account settings, my parental controls are switched off.

I just want to get this sorted out.  As I said, I'm nearly 50 and have no children. I think I can safely trust myself to choose what I want to see on the internet! 😁

Thanks for any help you can provide.

APN1

Spoiler
Incidentally, it happens on any device attached to my phone's internet connection.  Any traffic passing through that connection is getting censored by websafe.
APN1

Thank you for clarifying this @Anonymous.

Just to confirm are you making changes to your websafe settings as seen here https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/web-safe

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

No, they're not the changes I'm making.  I'm not a Virgin media customer, only Virgin mobile, and I can't access the websafe settings unless I set up an account with Virgin media, which I can't do, because it needs my Virgin media account number and area ref, and I don't have one!

APN1

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I will send you over a private message to help out with this. 

Cheers,

Ryan. 

Resolved in PM with Ryan.  All is well 🙂

APN1