cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virgin Media won't refund my PAYG credit even though they are stopping the PAYG option

LazyDaisy321
On our wavelength

Virgin Media are stopping the PAYG and, for me, they have given a date of 17th October.

Their website https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-closing says:

"What's happening?

We’re phasing out our Pay As You Go service from October 2021 to January 2022. 

Don't worry, there are lots of options for you to choose from, but your SIM will stop working during these dates if you don’t take any action.

We’ll be in touch closer to the time to inform you of the date when your SIM will stop working.

In the meantime, we’re here to help.

I’m on a Pay As You Go plan. What do I do?

You can switch over to one of our Pay Monthly plans or call us on 789 to discuss your options.

If you want to stick with a Pay As You Go plan, switching to another provider is simple. Just remember to get your Port Authorisation Code (PAC) before your end date so you can keep your mobile number, otherwise you’ll lose it.

There’s a few ways to get your PAC:

• Sign in to your online account and select Switching to make your request
  • Text ‘PAC’ and your date of birth (in DD/MM/YYYY format) to 65075 For example: PAC 01/03/1984
  • Give us a call on 789 and we’ll get this sorted for you.

You can request a refund for any leftover credit by registering your details with us at Your Account, then calling 789.

Good stuff to know

Don’t forget to use up your credit up before our Pay As You Go service ends or request a refund for any leftover credit. Got a Crave reward to use up? Make sure you use that before the end date, too.

Need a little extra help? Call us for free on 789 from your Virgin Mobile phone."

I have decided to leave and have requested my PAC.

I have phoned 789 today and they tell me I can't have a refund of my leftover credit.

Please refer to a Moderator to advise me why I have been told this when your website tells me I can have a refund.

Thank you.

51 REPLIES 51

Travis_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @LazyDaisy321

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you now to collect some more information, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

LazyDaisy321
On our wavelength

Message to add to my original post after on line conversations with Travis_M

It appears I "jumped the gun" requesting the PAC code. That is why they said I couldn't have my remaining credit back as the phasing out of the Pay As You Go service is from October 2021 to January 2022. 

I was trying to be proactive and request the PAC now so it made it look like I just want to leave (not due to the phasing out)

I think I have understood him correctly.

I am going to wait until October and start again.

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Either that or use most of your credit up

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It would probably take me six months or more to use it up so I'll wait until October !

pill_eater
Tuning in

Was any progress made?

After logging into my VirginMobile account I was hoping to find a straight forward step-by-step process to (a) get my credit refunded and (b) get a PAC code to transfer my number to another provider.  So far, I can't find a way to get my credit back.  All I see is the same "call 789" instruction.

As VirginMobile are not going to provide a PAYG service, I have already ordered and received my new ASDA PAYG SIM.  I have not activated it yet, however, as I do not know how long things will take to sort out the VirginMobile side of things.  I wouldn't want a brand new SIM being disconnected through inactivity!
Moving to Vodaphone's network coverage will probably be a big improvement as the last SIM VirginMobile provided seems to have the weakest signal ever.  Is it EE providing it, because the phone with their SIM is pretty poor for signal too?

Not that telling the world my personal circumstance matters, I am a carer for a family member with neurological issues.  With the amount of hoop jumping with GP surgeries and Hospital departments, this mess with a phone service could have happened at a less inconvenient time.  Keeping the same number, so avoiding having to update details with numerous organisations should be fairly simple with a PAC request, so I am to believe.

The notification text message said the cut off sate was Jan 11 2022.

So how do we get a credit refund via online request?

Thanks

I waited until the beginning of October as per my previous post.

I then called Virgin on 789 from my mobile and they sent me a cheque.

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @pill_eater,

Welcome to the community page, thanks for reaching out.

I am sorry for everything with trying to get this resolved.

I can see that the original poster has given you the advice for how to resolve this, please try this and let us know how it goes.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

I'm jumping in on this thread as I too have the end date of 11/1/22 for my PAYG service. What is frustrating for me is the fact that everywhere /everyone says PHONE 789! I am DEAF so do everything online but all the post regarding this say they cannot do anything/everything online! I need to keep my number as the world and his wife know its my number so what do I do? which option should I go for I only use my phone for SMS and OTP's AAAH Why are Virgin stopping PAYG I don't need this hassle

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @VIPerson,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused, is your wife able to call us on your behalf? I understand that it is not ideal to call us due to the reasons given.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide