Menu
BaronW
Joining in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Very annoying calls from Virgin to our mobiles from 8001836417

Can you please help me out with an issue myself and my wife are experiencing? For some time now we have been getting calls from 8001836417. 

I have been getting them infrequently for 2-3 years. On each occasion that I've answered the call, I end up in a ludicrous situation in which somebody claiming to be from Virgin asks me to confirm some of my personal details before they'll talk further. Every single time I explain that I'm not willing to share any personal details with somebody who is calling me and when I clearly don't know who they are. This pattern continues, wasting my time and the callers' time, until I hang up, after ridiculous attempts to persuade me otherwise. 

This happened again recently on my wife's phone and having experiencing an annoying 'silence' on the phone before being connected, due to my wife's chest illness and inability to speak at any length, yet again I found myself having the same conversation. The difference this time was that the caller was even more irascible than usual. I ended the call quickly to save us both further wasted time, but was treated to a follow up dyspeptic voice message complaining about my manners. 

Please can you advise as to how we can arrange to stop being contacted by this call centre?

Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Les01889
Dialled in
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Very annoying calls from Virgin to our mobiles from 8001836417

Can you block the number on your phone?

0 Kudos
BaronW
Joining in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

We potentially could, but I have no idea whether that is the number which is always used to make these calls (ie how many numbers might we have to block?), nor whether other services are delivered via that number (ie whether it may actually be essential to be able to receive calls from that number in future?). 

A simpler and less time consuming option for myself, would be for Virgin to remove my registered numbers from this system, which would appear to relate to marketing. Or to provide us all with access to such an option on their websites, which does not appear to be an option (or certainly not one which is readily found). 

0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

One of the Forum Team will be along and offer to remove you from the marketing list (about a week), once done it can take upto 6 weeks to cease.
In the meantime, just block the numbers as suggested - no other services come through on these numbers.
---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I posted this elsewhere on the forum. I would have linked to the original post but VM consider this to be spamming, so here it is again:-

There is the option to send Virgin Media a Section 11 DPA Notice which gives you the right to make a request to an organisation to stop processing your data for the purposes of direct marketing.

If you send this notice to an organisation it means they must stop, or not begin, sending you marketing material or contacting you for marketing purposes.

You need to give the organisation enough information to identify you. This may be your full name, address, email address or other information, such as your account number. Your notice needs to be in writing, an email is acceptable for this purpose.

Your letter should be sent to Virgin Media's Data Protection Officer at 

MEDIA HOUSE 
BARTLEY WOOD BUSINESS PARK 
HOOK 
HAMPSHIRE 
RG27 9UP

TEMPLATE LETTER

[Your full name]

[Your full address]

[Today's date]

Data Controller / Company Secretary

[Organisation's full address]

Dear Sir or Madam,

Notice under the Data Protection Act 1998 not to use my personal information for direct marketing

I, [your full name] of [your full address] require you to [stop / not to begin] processing personal information relating to me for direct marketing as soon as possible and in any event within 28 days of the date of this [letter / e-mail].

If you do not normally handle these requests for your organisation, please pass this [letter / e-mail] to your Data Protection Officer or the person who does.

Please note that if you do not comply with this notice, I can apply to the court for an order against you under Section 11 of the Data Protection Act.

Yours faithfully,

[Your name]

In normal circumstances you should expect them to stop contacting you by email within 28 days of receiving your notice, and post to stop within two months. Telephone contact should also stop within this time period.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Sololobo

With Virgin, the Broardband and Mobile side are treated as separate, so account numbers are essential - then you can be removed from the right one or both if you included both.
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

So you are saying the Data Protection Officer for Virgin Mobile is different to the one for Virgin Broadband?

Do you have the correct address for the Virgin Mobile Data Protection Officer? This would be of great use to those who wish to opt-out from unsolicited marketing calls.

EDIT. Checking here: http://store.virginmedia.com/the-legal-stuff/security-privacy-virgin-mobile.html I see the undernoted:-

Contacting us
For queries regarding Virgin Media's services, please call our team on 789 from your Virgin mobile phone, or 0345 6000 789* from any other phone.

If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information you should write to the address below:

Data Protection & Privacy
Virgin Media
Bartley Wood Business Park
Hook
Hampshire
RG27 9UP

This is the same address as noted in my earlier post.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I'm just going by the post by Terri_P, where the two need to sorted separate
http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Virgin-Mobile/08001836417-is-this-a-Vm-Number/m-p/3579950/highli...
0 Kudos
BaronW
Joining in
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the helpful answers. 

0 Kudos