cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to avoid RPI increase

hz
On our wavelength

Hi,

I managed to get a sim only contract in 2020 for 12 months of 20GB data for £9 (which was discounted via Mates Rates)

I then became a Virgin Media customer and transferred my mother's sim over to my account to make use of the "Family Plan"

Now that my contract has been rolling since Jul 2021, I'm already paying 81p inflation from last year and this will again increase to around £10.89 a month from £9.81

I was thinking to simply enter into a new SIM only contract, 30GB data for £13 (which would come down to £9.75 with my mates rate discount right?)

However every time I attempt to explain this on the phone, I simply keep getting pushed to make use of the £2 family plan discount  on my account when but I know I get a better deal using the mates rate discount instead?

Am I not allowed to use Mates Rates because of the Family discount now?

Would be nice if someone can clarify how it works because I currently have £2 family plan discount on my mom's number and a £2.55 mates rate discount active on my number which I don't want to sacrifice.

3 REPLIES 3

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there hz,

thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that you have not been able to get clarification on this issue. Have you been able to speak to the person who submitted the mates rates form so they can check with the team that this would still apply?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

hz
On our wavelength

Hi Nathan,

I'm not so sure if they know themselves either. As far as I know, I'm on their account for the mates rate discount. And I was able to get family plan shortly after becoming a VM broadband customer without losing my mates rates discount. 

Just not so sure why customer support can't let make use of my existing mates rate to sign a new contract? Why do they keep pushing me to use my family plan discount when the mates rate discount that I have is far more superior instead?

Ryan_N
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can't give you 100% definitive answer at this moment in time - Just to clarify also I don't think it comes down the customer support not letting you make use of it, I just think there isn't a great knowledge based around it as it's usually a dedicated team in which you would contact. So I can only apologise for the experience you've had when trying to discuss this. 

I will absolutely get to the bottom of it though 🙂

What I will do is send you a private message so I can confirm some details and I will be able to take it away and give you a 100% definitive answer. 

Cheers, 

Ryan.