Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Failed - Need to Leave Contract But Can't Apparently

DangerousDaveUK
Joining in

Samsung Galaxy S8 (before anyone asks)

Right, here comes the saga...

So on 17th July my wife upgraded her SIM only contract online via the virgin mobile website.  Everything went through ok without any errors.

Almost immediately her phone dropped it's signal and data connection. Then it kept getting intermittent signal but no data. We got "Refreshing SIM Data" on the phone every so often.

My wife received an email saying a new SIM was being sent out which we received on the Monday.  So that was put into the phone and still there was intermittent signal and no data.

So we contacted customer support and they went through several "fixes" to no avail.  Then I was put through to a higher support person and they went through the same "fixes" and then said that it was most likely a dodgy SIM and a new one would be sent out.

That arrived on Tuesday 27th July so it was duly put into the phone. Success...... for about 10 minutes where it dropped the signal again and starting saying "refreshing SIM data" again.

So on Wednesday 28th July I contacted customer support who again went through the same "fixes" as before.  By this point we were getting sick of having no answers to the issue.

On the account page the upgrade is still "pending" and it says to contact customer support to change or cancel it. So I contact customer support who then say "we can't cancel the upgrade as it has already completed".  Why does the website say I can cancel it then?

My wife was fed up of getting nowhere and had settled on getting a new phone. She had seen one on the Virgin website so we asked customer services if we could change the upgrade to get the new phone.  We got all the way through the process and the advisor said unfortunately because there was another change pending we couldn't order the phone.

So my wife has purchased the new phone on a separate contract (still with Virgin, are we mad?) as we have had enough of being turned away without answers.

Now my question is this - can someone cancel her old contract/upgrade please, without fees as this whole process has been appalling and she can't use the contract anyway because it does not work. I'm sick of hearing "this can't be done" as NOTHING is impossible, you just need to speak to the right person with the access to do so.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, DangerousDaveUK,

Sorry to hear this has occurred. Mobile phone orders can be canceled within the 14-day cooling off period, see here.  It sounds like this might be an error with the order or the webpage, but the order should still be able to be cancelled manually. If it is a technical issue blocking the account from being cancelled manually then it should be noted that you have attempted to cancel within the 14-day cooling off so that once the technical issue is resolved then the 14-day cancel can be processed. 

I have sent you a private message to confirm your mobile account details.

Cheers,

Corey C

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never really saw the appeal of a virtual network operator.

You should be able to cancel easily and move number to a new network, don't let them mess you about.

And yes I do think you're mad ( 😜 ) to seek a new phone with them when sim only was messed up.

Corey_C

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, DangerousDaveUK,

Sorry to hear this has occurred. Mobile phone orders can be canceled within the 14-day cooling off period, see here.  It sounds like this might be an error with the order or the webpage, but the order should still be able to be cancelled manually. If it is a technical issue blocking the account from being cancelled manually then it should be noted that you have attempted to cancel within the 14-day cooling off so that once the technical issue is resolved then the 14-day cancel can be processed. 

I have sent you a private message to confirm your mobile account details.

Cheers,

Corey C