cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking Contract phone

Macca72
Joining in

Hi I've had a contract phone from Virgin for around 3 months now with a Virgin similar,I'd like to make use of the second sim slot for a different network that does cheap international calls.When can I ask for the code to get my phone unlocked,I could just take it to a local mobile unlock shop but I'd prefer to get it done officially by Virgin.

11 REPLIES 11

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

have you tried another sim in the phone - afaik all phones have come unlocked for quite a while now - if thats not the case you need to ring 789 from the VM sim and talk to the CS people

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Ayisha_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Macca72,

Welcome back to our Community Forums and thanks for your post.

If you've purchased from us, the handset will be unlocked to any network.

Is this not the case for you? 

Ayisha_B
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi,sorry for delayed reply,yes its a Virgin contract phone ive had for about 5 months,and its definatly locked.

Hi again,sorry but im not 100% sure its locked,it just says sim not provisioned on notifications.it doesnt ask for a code when put sim in though

Hi Macca, thank you for coming back to us. 

The Sim you are getting 'not provisioned' on, is this a Virgin Media Sim? And are you using this in the primary or secondary SIM slot within the handset?

If you can also please let us know the make and model of handset so we can offer further support. Thank you!

All the best.

Molly

The sim is an EE sim but I think the sim was faulty as I had the same problem in an old phone that I know for sure is open to any sim. I rang tech support who confirmed no Virgin phones are locked and also what would be the point of a dual sim phone if it's locked to 1 network.
The phone is an a52s 5G, from what I've briefly read it might need the APN settings updated to accept any other sim. I'm not sure though as any unlocked phones I've had in the past have just accepted any sim without anything needing to be changed or updated.I havnt any other sim to try at the moment so will have to wait for the new EE sim.

Thank you for the update @Macca72

Please let us know what happens when you get the new SIM.

If you are still getting an error, please send us a picture and we can look into this further for you.

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi

Sorry for the late reply, I forgot all about this post.Anyway, it was a problem with the APN, the phone is unlocked as are all Virgin phones I'm told.Thankyou for the help.

Thanks for getting back to us Macca72, has this now been resolved?

Rob