cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultimate Volt Bundle- Cancel Just O2 Side

Raident10
Dialled in

Good morning everyone I hope you’re well,

A few days ago, I upgraded to the ultimate volt bundle, as the UK team gave me a pretty good deal to renew my contact.

As I now have 2 separate contracts and accounts (one with Virgin for Broadband, TV, Landline), and one with O2 for Mobile, I was wondering if anything would happen to my virgin media contract if I cancelled my O2 Contract within 14 days?

I.e - would i be charged anything extra by virgin media? Would I lose any discounts, etc?

I am not 100% sure I’ll be cancelling O2 but the main reason would be my main mobile number is on another mobile network, as I get 50% off.

Kind regards,

Joe

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For avoidance of doubt, here are the Volt terms around the O2 SIM cancellation:

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/J957_VM_T&Cs_October_2021_V5.pdf

A. What is “Volt” and how can you get the benefits?

4. If you cancel your eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan within 14 days of: (a) you receiving your O2 SIM following you purchasing an eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan; or (b) you re-contracting to an eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan at the same time as purchasing Virgin Media broadband services, you will become ineligible for the Volt benefits for your Virgin Media services. Depending on the services you receive:

1. we may remove any applicable Volt broadband speed boost;
2. if you have chosen to subscribe to Intelligent WiFi Plus, you will no longer be entitled to receive the Intelligent WiFi Plus service for free (unless you take Gig1 Fibre Broadband) and standard pricing will be applied going forward;
3. and if you were receiving the Ultimate Volt Bundle and you have cancelled your O2 Unlimited SIM, we may move your Virgin Media services to the Bigger Sports & Movies Bundle (or the nearest equivalent bundle to Bigger Sports & Movies available at the time). If you would prefer to move to a different package, you should call Virgin Media to discuss your options.

5. If you subsequently cancel your eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan after the 14 day period referred to in Section A.1.4 above, the Volt benefits for your Virgin Media services may be lost when you next recontract to Virgin Media’s services. 

6. If we remove your Volt benefits from your Virgin Media services in accordance with our rights in Sections A.4 or A.5 above, your Virgin Media services shall continue and your Virgin Media minimum period will be unaffected. Save for Sections A.4 and A.5 above, your Virgin Media services are entirely unaffected by the cancellation of O2 services.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

144 REPLIES 144

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

If you cancel the O2 contract within the cooling off period (for which you'll need to contact O2 directly), your VM contract will remain in place, but you'll lose the Volt benefits which are primarily the broadband speed increase and free wifi pods.  Any discount applied to the broadband price should remain in place unless you also use the cooling off period to cancel the new VM deal by contacting VM, and in that case you'd revert to whatever terms you were on previously, which could be the undiscounted 30 day notice, or a previous fixed term discounted contract if that had not yet expired.  

David_Bn
Forum Team
Forum Team

Good Morning @Raident10, thanks for your post.

If you were to cancel the O2 SIM card, you would lose the Volt benefits connected to the Virgin Media account and you would be charged for the package that you're currently subscribing to with Virgin Media.

If you also signed a new contract/re-built the package you have with Virgin Media, there may be a possibility of any discounts embedded within the deal also being removed

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

Raident10
Dialled in

Thank you ever so much both for your replies - I think I’ll keep the number then in that case. 🙂

I have an iPhone and use eSIM’s due to their massive superiority over standard SIM’s, so it’ll most likely be used as a backup or for mobile data where my other carrier may be limited in a particular area (iPhones can automatically switch between mobile data).

Take care,

Joe

Thank you for the update @Raident10.

Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Jorawarb
On our wavelength

how long do I have to have the 02 contract for? Is it the 18 months of the virgin media bundle period?

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Jorawarb,

Welcome back, thanks for posting.

You would keep the O2 contract for the 18 months if this is the deal you have signed up for.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Jorawarb
On our wavelength

Thanks for the reply. It just does not state it anywhere. If I make a change to or cancel o2 will this effect my discount on my renewed volt bundle?

Also to add to this all, it does state the following on this page: https://www.o2.co.uk/help/virgin-media-o2-faqs

“Leaving Virgin Media and O2

What happens to my Volt benefits if I leave O2 or Virgin Media?

If you choose to leave O2 by requesting a PAC or STAC then you'll lose access to your mobile data boost however, you'll keep your higher broadband speeds with Virgin Media. Likewise, if you choose to leave Virgin Media you'll keep your increased mobile data allowance on O2.”

Kind regards,

Joe

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

For avoidance of doubt, here are the Volt terms around the O2 SIM cancellation:

https://assets.virginmedia.com/resources/pdf/J957_VM_T&Cs_October_2021_V5.pdf

A. What is “Volt” and how can you get the benefits?

4. If you cancel your eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan within 14 days of: (a) you receiving your O2 SIM following you purchasing an eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan; or (b) you re-contracting to an eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan at the same time as purchasing Virgin Media broadband services, you will become ineligible for the Volt benefits for your Virgin Media services. Depending on the services you receive:

1. we may remove any applicable Volt broadband speed boost;
2. if you have chosen to subscribe to Intelligent WiFi Plus, you will no longer be entitled to receive the Intelligent WiFi Plus service for free (unless you take Gig1 Fibre Broadband) and standard pricing will be applied going forward;
3. and if you were receiving the Ultimate Volt Bundle and you have cancelled your O2 Unlimited SIM, we may move your Virgin Media services to the Bigger Sports & Movies Bundle (or the nearest equivalent bundle to Bigger Sports & Movies available at the time). If you would prefer to move to a different package, you should call Virgin Media to discuss your options.

5. If you subsequently cancel your eligible O2 Pay Monthly Mobile Plan after the 14 day period referred to in Section A.1.4 above, the Volt benefits for your Virgin Media services may be lost when you next recontract to Virgin Media’s services. 

6. If we remove your Volt benefits from your Virgin Media services in accordance with our rights in Sections A.4 or A.5 above, your Virgin Media services shall continue and your Virgin Media minimum period will be unaffected. Save for Sections A.4 and A.5 above, your Virgin Media services are entirely unaffected by the cancellation of O2 services.

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own