cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring SIM & number between Virgin Mobile accounts

authentic8
Dialled in

We want to transfer ownership of a SIM card and phone number from one Virgin Mobile account holder to another both within the same household. How do we do that?

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

SolaireSunnyD
Joining in
Hi, did you ever manage to do this? if so how?

Robert_P
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello authentica8

Thank you for posting your mobile SIM query on our forums, we appreciate you taking the time to raise your query.

We don't have the facility to change the name on an account to another name without first having to change the current tariff to Pay As You Go unless the SIM is currently already on a Pay As You Go tariff. This can cause problems depending on if the account is currently in a fixed term contract or has a handset loan attached.

Once reverted to Pay As You Go we would then need to register the number in the new name and if the new account holder was looking to add a Pay Monthly tariff we would then need to have a credit check ran.

We aren't able to do this via the forums and a call to the team on 789 or 0345 600 0789 would be required.

Let us know how you get on with this.

Rob

I solved this last year by phoning Virgin Mobile support. I was not trying to change the name on the account but transfer the phone / SIM from one account belonging to a householder relative to my own account.

However, the solution as told to me by the customer support agent was somewhat the opposite of what you said in that the phone was originally using a Pay As You Go SIM but I was told by the agent that the phone could not be transferred to my account without moving the SIM onto a Pay Monthly contract.

I would be a bit annoyed if the information I was told regarding the need to move to a contract was false. I didn't see the need or reason for this at the time but went along with it because it seemed like the only option.

I would welcome some clarity for this for myself, and for the sake of SolaireSunnyD who just posted above so he/she does not need to do anything he/she does not need to do. Thank you.

DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hello

There has been some cross over on this as now Virginmedia no longer offer PAYG SIMs , and on top of that from October this year Virginmedia are phasing out all PAYG SIMs for anybody still using them, so in the future there will be no Virginmedia PAYG SIMs at all and they will be refunding the balance on these.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks