Menu
BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 11 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sudden unexplained data usage - and huge fee

Thanks for your help.I received a text from EE ,saying that some settings have been changed.The data button has been disabled. Great for anyone who is never going to use data on the phone.

0 Kudos
grahama83
Joining in
Message 12 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I also suffered a sudden data usage which consumed all my data.

At the time I was connected to the home wifi so would not expect any usage but within about a 2 minute period my account shows that I used 1.9GB, I'm not even sure that 4G can support that rate, I certainly don't get anything like that normally. As my monthly usage is usually about 100MB I am at a loss to how it could happen unless it is a bug in the Virgin Media system (I have spent my career in the data storage industry so I reckon I understand data rates). The first I knew about it was a text warning that I had used 75% of my data, then a minute later one at 95% and another minute showing 100%. I was then charged £3 for continuing to use data because I did not read my texts for few minutes. Then I turned off my mobile data.

The next day, to add insult to injury, I used the link in the text to find out how to buy more data as it was about 3 weeks before my refresh date, and found out I had been charged another £3 for the privilege of contacting Virgin!

So I phoned the Virgin support line and eventually got through to someone. She was totally disinterested in explaining how the 1.9GB could have been used, saying she could not see my account, which I was viewing online (now on my home computer!). But she kept repeating that the £3 charge was the normal daily charge for data when the limit is exceeded. When I suggested that she was not listening to me she replied that I was not listening to her, is that normal Virgin customer polite service?

So I raised a complaint online, the code of practice says they aim to resolve it within 7 days but it could take up to 28 days. I have now waited 13 days and have not even had an acknowledgement of my complaint.

All this time I have not had any data service on my phone as I resent paying Virgin any more for something which I am convinced is their problem. 

The 12 months of my contract is about to end and although I have been with Virgin Mobile for many years I suspect this will be my last unless this is resolved soon.

This thread suggests other have suffered similar issues, will someone from Virgin stand up and answer please.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 13 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi grahama83,

I am very sorry to hear about this, when and how did you raise your complaint with us? 

Thanks Joe_F

0 Kudos
grahama83
Joining in
Message 14 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help.

My initial data loss was on 28 Nov at 17.22, I made a call to the help desk later that day at 21.00 but went on hold so made another call on 30 Nov at 17.32.  I don’t have a record of my online complaint but am fairly sure it was on 1 Dec.

Please let me know if there is anything else you need.

Graham

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for your reply Graham, i'm going to send you a private message so we can take a look at this further for you.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

0 Kudos
BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 16 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Yes please.Just lost another £2.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 17 of 38
Flag for a moderator

Hi BSPN99,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see my colleague advised they were going to private message. 

Did that conversation happen?

^Martin

0 Kudos
BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 18 of 38
Flag for a moderator

@Martin_N wrote:

Hi BSPN99,

I'm sorry to hear this. I can see my colleague advised they were going to private message. 

Did that conversation happen?

^Martin

I don't think so,allthough I'm not sure how that works.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 19 of 38
Flag for a moderator

There will be an envelope icon in the right hand corner of the page. 

Can you see this?

^Martin

0 Kudos
BSPN99
On our wavelength
Message 20 of 38
Flag for a moderator

I can see it ,but no new messages for about six months.

0 Kudos