cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sim switch from Virgin Mobile to O2 wth new contract

stublee
Up to speed

Just started a new bundle effective from today . The old plan I was on  included a Virgin mobile sim but with my new plan I've had to take a new O2 sim which I have been advised is on the way via Royal Mail ....... err so don't know when that will arrive ?  Presumably there is a period of grace in the interim  as I use my old sim and I I won't incur any charges until I start using my O2 one ?

7 REPLIES 7

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi stublee,

Thank you for reaching out to us and for your post, nice to see you have taken up one of our Volt deals with an O2 Sim, when ordering did you get a PAC code for the Virgin Sim so you can keep the number and did you give us that when the new Sim was ordered?

Regards

Paul.

Thanks for reply . The agent who I discussed the new deal with did not give me a PAC code . Presumably it is straightforward to get this via a text number ? It was also not made clear how the charges would be in the interim before my O2 sim is activated  . Do I still stay on the old VM mobile plan as my new bundle started with a month to go on my old contract and VM takes the month payment in advance . I have not received my new O2 sim yet .... who knows when that will be with Royal Mail strikes .... but have already been billed by O2 for the month .  

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @stublee,

Thanks for coming back to us about your Mobile SIM query. You can read more about our PAC code and the process of moving your number to a new SIM on our Keep My Number page

You can also take a look at our Volt page for more information about this process. You can still keep your Virgin Mobile SIM, however, this will not be a part of your new package. The O2 SIM will have the Volt Benefits added.

We understand that the Royal Mail Strikes can impact your delivery date, but the SIM should be with you soon. You can read more about O2 SIM activation on the website. 

Let us know how you get on and if you need any further help. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks for that .. I've just had a text from VM saying that my mobile plan will be deactivated in 30 days so it seems that I still have the Oomph mobile advantages in the meantime .  This will cover me for any delay with the postal strike .

Hi @stublee thanks for your reply, that's great news.

Any further issues, please don't hesitate to let me know!
Many thanks

Tom_W

A further heads up on this issue ....  It really helps to get the PAC code when renewing contract / bundle and adding a sim deal as part of the new Volt set up . I was told by the VM agent that now all new sim deals would be separate with O2 but wasn't given a PAC code at the time . I was informed that it would be an easy job to get one once the new O2 sim arrived and the switch over would be straightforward . However once the new contract was started I kept getting  text messages that now my old Oomph package had changed my old VM sim and current mobile number would shortly  be cancelled  -  concerning as my new O2 sim hadn't arrived yet .  Also would I be charged for sim usage in the interim ? I tried the text method of obtaining the PAC code but that didn't work so had to phone VM . I initially spoke with someone who on checking my details couldn't make it clear to me what was going on but kept saying I should have received the PAC when the the contract was taken up . Eventually after being transferred to 2 other departments and having to give security details each time ! ( Make sure you know these or you won't get any further .... )  I spoke with someone who gave me the PAC code ...  then transferred again to someone  in O2 call centre in SOUTH AFRICA who thank goodness was very concise  in explaining what would now happen and that she would start the process . All in all a lot of faff...... !

I don't know whether I was just unlucky in  speaking to someone who neglected to provide the PAC initially or if others have experienced the same problems but  in hindsight it would probably have been better not to have gone with the bundle sim at the time but obtained an O2 sim deal off a comparison site after    ( plenty of good O2 deals to be had ! )  . Then with having a contract with both VM and O2 I would get the Volt benefits anyway.

Hey stublee,

Thanks for reaching out to us, I am glad to hear you have now managed to get your PAC code and started the process of bringing the Oomph number over within the 30 days window, really sorry it wasn't as straight forward as it could have been, we will feed this back.

If you do need any further help, please do not hesitate to reach back out.

Regards

Paul.