cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STAC code

Skelly
Joining in

Do I need a STAC code to cancel my Mobile account? I have no intention of keeping the number or moving to another provider. The SIM is thrown away along with my phone.  I'm a bit confused as the Virgin website tells me I need a STAC which I duly obtained but if I am not moving to another provider and I just want to end my contract is it necessary? Also when I was allocated a STAC number I assumed that by virtue of my online communication this was full confirmation that I was cancelling my contract but seemingly not as I have just received another months bill on a phone I don't (can't) use! Why do Virgin (and others of course) allow you to make additions to your contract online but as soon as you wish to reduce or completely cancel something you can't do it online and they have you jump through hoops to achieve this. And all the while you are "in contract" and paying out for a worthless service. 

4 REPLIES 4

Tom_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Skelly thanks for your post although I'm sorry to hear of your concerns raised.

You will not need a stac code to cancel the contract, as we can book a disconnection as per the 30 days notice period. The STAC allows you to cancel your mobile number with your previous supplier when you change networks, but you will also be able to book the disconnection without one. The STAC code will be given to your new provider and this would activate the cancellation. 

As you don't have a new provider in place (or at least to take over the number), having the STAC won't ever action the cancellation in this case as you're not porting the number over.

I can however, offer to help you with the cancellation if you wish - please reply if you'd like me to get this sorted for you and I'll Private Message you if so. If you'd prefer to resolve this over the phone, please call us on 0345 600 0789.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Many thanks for your kind offer of help Tom. I have managed to speak with Virgin today and cancelled the contract that I believed I had cancelled a month earlier - at the time the STAC was issued. So due to lack of clarity on the website it’s now costing me an extra month’s contract fee. It would have been so much simpler (and less costly) in my circumstances if there was an online cancellation facility and it is certainly not made entirely clear anywhere that a STAC number will  not be required when you are just cancelling the contract and not moving to a new provider. I’m not happy but will just have to accept that media companies these days will continue to make it so so easy to sign up and as awkward as possible to leave.

Hi @Skelly thanks for your reply, no problem at all.

I appreciate this is frustrating so please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused here.

Even though it's disappointing you're now leaving us, I'm glad that you can finally put this issue to bed and move on - wishing you well for the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W

Hi @Skelly thanks a lot for replying - sincere apologies I can appreciate your frustrations.

Even though you've handed in your notice with us which is disappointing from our side, I'm glad you can finally put this issue to bed - wishing you well for the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W