cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SIM Switch, old number won’t transfer.

laraj
Tuning in

I received a text from Virgin Media confirming that my SIM switch/transfer was completed and when I log into my online account it shows my that my old number is now associated with my Virgin Media account and new SIM card. However, in my phones settings it still shows as the default number the SIM came with and there is no way to update this and ever since the switch completed, I no longer can receive text messages to my new or old phone. It’s like it’s switched the number over but it isn’t registering on the new phone/SIM and it’s no longer associated with my old phone/SIM either! Please help. 

14 REPLIES 14

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @laraj, thanks for your post.

Sorry to see the number hasn't changed on your handset even though this has changed on your online account.

Can you please confirm what handset you are using?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hey, 

It’s the iPhone 13 pro 128gb

Thank you 

Thanks for confirming, can you check the number in the phone to see if it is the number that has been ported over? If not you can manually change this.

Go to Settings>Phone>My number. If you are changing it just press save when you are done.

Let me know if this helps.

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Hey,

The number in the phone is the default one that came with the SIM, not the one I wanted transferred over. When I try update and save it that way it doesn’t update it and just reverts back to the default one after I click save.

Thanks for the suggestion though! 

Ah I see, are you able to reboot the phone then try this again to see if it works?

Regards

Nathan

I’ve rebooted it and tried again but it’s still doing the same thing I’m afraid. It won’t let me change that myself. 

Lara

Ah that's strange, what date were you given for your number to port over? If it's due to fully changeover today that may be why.

Regards

Nathan

It was due to be fully transferred yesterday and I received a text yesterday at 11:31am saying that it was completed. It was done on my online account but not on my phone so not sure what’s going on. 

Lara

Ok, can you try the following please:

-Turn off iMessage (Settings>Messages)
-Turn your phone off for at least 10 mins
-Turn the phone back on and try to change your number again
-Turn iMessage back on
-Go to Settings>Message>Send/Receive to make sure the correct number shows there

If this doesn't work the next thing to try would be to reset the network settings. This also resets any WIFI networks you have saved on the phone so you'll have to keep a note of which ones you need to re add.

Let me know if any of this helps.

Regards

Nathan