Menu
2eggsnbacon
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Replacement Virgin SIM - necessary codes

I switched to Virgin Mobile from EE in about September or October.  I received a Virgin SIM at that time which I have been using since.

Recently I stopped receiving texts from some people and telephoned Customer Services.  I was informed that I needed a replacement Virgin SIM because Virgin had upgraded their system.  I now understand that Virgin used to use the EE network but no longer does so.

The new SIM requires a code - a 'SIM network unlock PIN' - to be entered before it can be registered on the network.  The code provided by Virgin - 7890 - the default PIN for the SIM card on the letter did not work.  I got the PUK code off my personal Virgin website page.  That didn't work.

I then spent in excess of 2 hours on the phone to Virgin's Customer Services trying to find out what code to enter.  Eventually I was told to get the unlock code from EE, my previous phone company.  I gave them the IMEI number and they gave me the unlock code.  It did not work.

Who creates these systems?  How many different code numbers does it take to get a Virgin SIM card to register on the Virgin network?

I am now waiting for an 'unfreeze code' from the manufacturer, Samsung.  I don't know that the SIM is frozen but I can't think of anything else to try.  I have found the Virgin Customer Care shockingly awful.  Telephoning 0345 6000 789 and being told that there is a 20 or 30 minute wait, or to ring back later; and being asked to wait on the line which goes dead after another 10 minute wait.

If anyone from Virgin reads this, please note that Virgin is a company I have grown to hate in a very short time.

0 Kudos
2eggsnbacon
Tuning in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement Virgin SIM - necessary codes

This saga continues.

It transpired that EE had given me the wrong unlock code, an error which they corrected and I was able soto unlock the SIM.  Each phone has one unlock code - which stays the same throughout.

Unfortunately that was only the start.  I could call out and send texts, but no-one (apart from Virgin Customer Care) could call me although I could receive texts from some people.  This Saturday morning I have telephoned Virgin Customer Care 8 times to get the phone working.  Each time I have been given a task - to remove the SIM; try logging on to O2; etc ... all I assume to permit the new SIM to make a fresh registration on the Virgin network.  None of it has worked.

I have just been told that the Virgin Network Team, rather than Customer Care, is going to have a look at the problem, and that it will take 3 - 5 working days to sort out!  I am speechless.

The message has to be: DON'T ALLOW VIRGIN TO TRANSFER YOU TO THEIR NEW NETWORK.  IT DOES NOT WORK.

0 Kudos
2eggsnbacon
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Final instalment to this pitiful saga.

There is no problem with my phone.  The problem is with the network.  Calls from a mobile phone on the EE network and on the BT network do not communicate with the Virgin network.  It's as simple as that.  I don't know if there are other networks that do not communicate with the Virgin network - I don't know who has tried to call me and not managed to get through.

I will be terminating my contract with Virgin as soon as I have signed up with another mobile company.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi 2eggsnbacon,

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a fault with your incoming calls. Apologies as well for the time it's taken to respond to your post. 

Have you received an update on the fault?

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
2eggsnbacon
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Dear Terri,

Thanks for replying.  The answer to your question is 'No'.  I have never had a call back from Customer Care, even when they said they would.

I phoned them on Friday or Saturday to tell them that a friend had discovered that if he added any digit to the end of my mobile phone number (ie 12 digits rather than 11), he got through.  He discovered that as a result of a fat finger mistake, and since then my wife has tried it, but she was worried about using it in case the call is patched through Chile or somewhere at enormous cost.  I thought it might help Virgin solve the fault.  I was asked to wait on the phone.  After about 20 minutes Customer Care just rang off.

I have also discovered that people on the BT network can't get through either.  So that's the EE and BT networks that cannot get through to Virgin.

Foolishly, I signed up to the Virgin Broadband package as well, and that is defective too.  Either the upstream power or the downstream power is too great - 54 - when it should be between 50 - 53, I gather.  An engineer was coming out two weeks ago, but kept leaving me messages on my voicemail - but I could not access them because of the mobile phone problem!

I am afraid that I now think Virgin is absolutely terrible.  Virgin Customer Care has wasted an absolutely inordinate amount of my time, making me check or change various settings on the phone which I now realise they must have known would not solve the problem.

If you can do something, so much the better, but I think I am going to go for a company with a shop on the high street with people in it that you can talk to.

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi 2eggsnbacon,

I'm sorry that you are still having a problem with incoming calls and broadband. If you pop a post on the broadband board, one of my colleagues that cover the broadband queries will pick this up for you.

In order to look into the mobile issue, I will need to take more details. I will send you a private message requesting more information so that I can assist with this issue. Just click on the envelope icon at the top of this page.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi 2eggsnbacon,

I've received an update on the fault ticket and our technicians advise that this issue is fixed. Please let me know if you are still having problems with receiving calls.

Thanks,

Terri

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi 2eggsnbacon,

We have been notified that the fault causing problems with the EE network mobiles getting through to you has been fixed.

Please let me know if you have any further problems with this or if I can help with anything else.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

0 Kudos