cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Released from contract due to slow 4g?

hamiltov
On our wavelength

Can I be released from my contract with Virgin mobile due to shocking 4G coverage? I have 160GB per month and can only get through 1GB due to slow/non existent speeds. 

The coverage checker said it should be good. Tried on various mobiles and Virgin sent me a new Sim but that has made no difference.

Surely you cannot be tied in if your phone is unusable. Never had a problem with VM for the previous 15 years I have been with them. This switch to O2 is a joke.

21 REPLIES 21

Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm trying to find some literature on it but surely if VM changes their network from Voda to o2 - that can impact customers, did customers have an option to leave?

Any mod wanna chime in?

hamiltov
On our wavelength

"Our network is currently working fine. If you’re experiencing a problem with service, try switching off your device and then switching it back on again."

Everything is fine but not fine clearly

I would hope so. It is a nightmare when you leave the kids in childcare and messages cannot get through.

Cannot be right to be tied into a contract for a glorified 'brick.'

Thank you for letting us know @hamiltov.

In this case, I have sent you a private message to further look into your Network issues. Please look out for the purple envelope and respond when you can.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

hamiltov
On our wavelength

For anyone following this thread. My private messages consisted of jumping through numerous questions to confirm who I am.

• ...6 hrs later I have words of wisdom informing me that data speeds vary!! No acknowledgement that the issue is that it varies between 0-2mb.

There must be some contractual law saying that you cannot handcuff someone to a deal when the service has been altered so much i.e.  the switch to O2!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Bit of a stalemate, I think raising a formal complaint to VM stating the speed (or lack of) is the reason, await a reply and request a deadlock letter (waiting the 8 weeks isn't an option for this) 

Lodge a complaint with CISAS stating everything was fine prior to the sim swap and now it's effectively useless.

Seems clearcut as an outsider so I'd think CISAS will see that also and permit the termination of the contract, I'd also push for damages for the inconvenience and inaction from VM saying 'speed varies' as the cause.

I really hope you get this sorted sooner rather than later but you never know with VM

Anonymous
Not applicable

I can't see it happening here but I had a terrible experience with Three and with approx 6+ . months left on my contract they allowed me to disconnect for free (remaining amount was approx £100)

This was after making a complaint direct to them and it was recitifed within a week.

We can but dream in this instance 

Thanks @MrKinny, points noted. Awaiting further delaying tactics and arbitrary excuses. Not fussed about compensation as I will put it down to experience, I would just like to move on without a crazy bill for nothing! Will keep you posted.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The compensation is purely to make VM sit up and realise that they need to get their house in order.

Every dept is accountable and if one of those departments are losing money as fines, they'll get a kick up the bum to sort it out.

Wish you luck in this challenge

enlli
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Here you are folks  Terms and Conditions. See last sentence 

4. Provision of Services

4.1 Availability:

We will try to make our Services available to you at all times but our Network and Services are variable and quality and availability could be affected by factors outside of our control, such as faults in the Network or any other networks used to provide the Services to you, and other environmental factors such as the weather, the type of building you are in, or surrounding trees. We may from time to time update, upgrade, repair, or carry out maintenance or other work on our Network and/or Services which may result in interruptions or unavailability. Where this is the case and our Network provider has informed us, we will detail any interruptions or unavailability on our website and deta

ils will also be available from our Team. We will do all we can to keep such unavailability to a minimum, however we cannot guarantee that we will be able to provide Network coverage at all times. If our Services are materially degraded for an unreasonable period of time you may be able to leave your Agreement with us without paying an early termination fee.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks