cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: PAYG ending - Can PAC code for PAYG number be used after January 11?

PG144
On our wavelength

Hello all,

Just thought I would update on the progress with my transfer.

On Sunday I entered the details for my transfer to Asda Mobile on their web site. As expected the date given for the transfer was yesterday, January 11.

Yesterday, January 11,  the number on my Asda mobile sim card changed to my old Virgin number, and I am able to make a call and send a text.

However I am not able to receive calls or receive texts on the Asda sim. 

Incoming calls and texts are still being routed to the old Virgin sim card - which is still active - I cannot make calls or send texts ( my account balance is now zero anyway) but just this morning I have received a text message on the virgin sim.

I am fortunate to have an old spare phone.  So I now have two phones with the same number, one for incoming and one for outgoing. 

I have contacted Asda mobile's customer service this morning, got through to a helpful representative very quickly, and they have said they will follow the matter up with Virgin.

I will update this thread  when I can return to using one phone with the number I have had since 2001, over 20 years.

4 REPLIES 4

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PG144,

Welcome back to our community forums.

Sorry to hear you are having this issue when trying to transfer your number. We can understand this is not ideal and want to best help. Have you tried rebooting both devices to see if the issue persists? Also, were you given a window of time from Asda mobile as to when they will get back in contact with you?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

pyonear
Tuning in

PG144

What a fascinating tale!  I swapped over the Virgin and Vodafone sims last night and my mobile might have worked had I had a signal.  I have tried again just now and there are 3 bands showing in a SW direction - only when I am in the garden, so unlikely to be doing much phoning today.  However, three messages:  Virgin mobile will be switching me off on 7th February now (what was the panic about, I ask myself), a welcome message from Vodafone and another saying they cannot give me my old number yet as they are "awaiting some information from Virgin" ...  Also, nothing yet showing on my Bank account re the refund - still, it's early days, the post being what it is at the moment - perhaps they don't do electronic banking.  Perhaps I should have gone to Asda?  Good luck, Mr. Two Phones.

PG144
On our wavelength

Hi pyonear,

I don't know how my post from this morning and your reply ended up appearing as a separate thread in the Account-Mobile section of the Manage Your Account part of the Help forum. I thought I had posted this in the thread within the Virgin Mobile part of the forum. Who knows where this reply will appear.

I promised to update my earlier post and I am happy to report that it looks like the transfer of my Virgin mobile number to Asda mobile has been completed.

The first indication that it might be resolved came when a text message was received on the phone with the Asda mobile SIM this morning this. I don't know exactly when it was received but there was a time stamp of 10.36am. My phone call to Asda Customer Service was at about 9.10am. So if the issue was resolved by their action, that was very good. Of course it is possible the problem would have been resolved anyway.

Your quip about 'Mr Two Phones' made me laugh. I am glad to say it is no longer appropriate in this context. The spare phone with the old Virgin SIM is now reporting an 'Inactive SIM' and I can now make and receive phone calls and send and receive text messages using the same number on the same SIM on the same phone.

By the way, the two phones could both be described as 'vintage' or possibly 'ancient' as mobile phones go. They are both 2G only, but they are very small, easily pocket-able and their batteries last far longer than those in the 'smart' phones I have used. It's true they are not pocket computers capable of running all sorts of apps, but they work very well as mobile phones.

I can now say that after more than 20 years I am no longer a customer of Virgin mobile. I hope your transfer is completed soon so that you too can announce your departure.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @PG144,

Thank you for coming back to us about your number transfer. I'm glad to hear that the switch completed without any issues.

We're always here to help, please keep us updated and let us know if there's anything that we can assist on. 🙂

We are sorry to see you go as a customer, hopefully we'll see you again in the future. 

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs