cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number is wrong when texting, after porting number in

albany1
On our wavelength

Hi, I have ported my number from Vodafone (originally an EE number) but texts are still showing as coming from the old temporary number on the SIM you supplied. There is no setting on my phone to fix this. I believe the old temporary number is embedded in the SIM and needs changing from your end.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

cje85
Trouble shooter

This is becoming an increasingly regular problem and is often down to a Google Chat setting on Android devices.

Within the messages app, press the 3 dots in the top right corner, go to Settings, General, Chat Features, then turn off chat features. Now switch Chat Features back on. It can take a few minutes but the number should then update.

Also with the Settings menu, choose the other option (not General, it should show your network name) and within that menu check if the phone number displayed is correct. If not, press on it and enter your number.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

HI albany1

Thank you for your post

Can I just ask what handset you are currently using?

Does the same thing happen in another handset?

Gareth_L

albany1
On our wavelength

Hi, I'm using a OnePlus 8 Pro.

At the moment I don't have another handset tio test.

cje85
Trouble shooter

This is becoming an increasingly regular problem and is often down to a Google Chat setting on Android devices.

Within the messages app, press the 3 dots in the top right corner, go to Settings, General, Chat Features, then turn off chat features. Now switch Chat Features back on. It can take a few minutes but the number should then update.

Also with the Settings menu, choose the other option (not General, it should show your network name) and within that menu check if the phone number displayed is correct. If not, press on it and enter your number.

albany1
On our wavelength

Thanks. I'd already entered the number. But that didn't fix it. 

This now solved by turning off Google Chat as you suggested. I haven't tried turning it back on as I don't need the features. 

Great to have such a quick fix from this forum!

Hey albany1

That's great news 

Least we know the answer now

Gareth_L

I have the same problem but with an iohone

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @JonVDee,

Welcome to our Community Forums! Thank you for your post and I'm sorry to hear that you're having some issues with your ported number!

Can you tell us if you followed the Number Porting steps when moving your number to Virgin Media? When was it that you had your number ported over to us? 

Is your number wrong on all interactions through text and calling?

Please let us know so we can help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs