cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New SIM Card - International Roaming

vwalker_oc
Joining in

Hello,

I live in Canada and just received an email from Virgin asking me to order a new SIM card because effective October 1, 2021 I will no longer have roaming services.

I am pay as you go and keep my UK number active by sending a text every 3 months.  I received a new SIM card in approximately March 2020.  Do I need a new one again because of the roaming?  As Virgin are unable to send my SIM cards to Canada I use a friend's address in the U.K. 

Please advise what I need to do to order a new SIM card.

Thank you.

Valerie

2 REPLIES 2

BenMcr
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There are two things going on.

Yes you'll need a new SIM card due to the roaming changes. You'd need to get a new SIM card sent to a UK address and then activated, and then posted to you abroad. SIMs can't be activated outside of the UK, but once they are activated you'd lose service in Canada until you got the new one.

However Virgin Mobile UK are closing all Pay As You Go plans soon, so even once you go through the steps for a new SIM for the roaming change, it won't work forever - https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-mobile-pay-as-you-closing

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own

Jodi_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi vwalker_oc,

Thanks for posting on our community forums. We can certainly help you with getting a new card ordered, as our valued member @BenMcr has already advised we will not be able to send your new sim card to Canada for you as it has to be activated in the UK. 

We can order a new sim and get it sent to a UK address, but as its already been pointed out, our PAYG sims are being phased out, as this will not be a service that we are offering for much longer. 

Please let us know if you would like further assistance with ordering a new sim card and we will get this processed for you.

Kind regards Jodi.