cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mystery direct debit

Franticwiggling
Joining in

Realised that we’ve been paying £9, then £10, and £10.05, every month since Sept 2021, via direct debit. We have no virgin devices, mobile or broadband use, never have and don’t know how or why this has happened!

4 REPLIES 4

Nathan_B
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi there @Franticwiggling, welcome to our forum and thanks for your post.

This certainly is a strange case if you don't have any of our services. Just to confirm have you had any of our services in the past? What name is on the direct debit?

Regards

Nathan

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Thanks for your reply, 

As far as we know, we haven’t had any virgin services. The name on the direct debit is VIRGIN MOBILE.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct-debit-explained/what-is-direct-debit/

Refer to the section Organisation unknown. 

Contact your bank or building society and ask to see a copy of the Direct Debit Instruction, which your bank should have access to, within 7 working days. Whilst the copy is being obtained you are entitled to an immediate refund of the amount debited from your bank or building society under the Direct Debit Guarantee.

Direct Debit Guarantee

• The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
  • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    • If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to
  • You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.

See also How to claim.

In the rare event that an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit*, either by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund from your bank or building society of the amount paid.

Simply contact your bank or building society. They are responsible for refunding the money - even if the original error was made by the organisation collecting the payment. But remember, if you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to.

* The Guarantee covers Direct Debit payments. It cannot be used to address contractual disputes between you and the billing organisation.​

Also note:

Review any purchases or agreements for services you've entered into. Sometimes the name of the organisation taking the Direct Debit may not match that of the organisation you contracted with (e.g. some purchases are paid for on finance and it may be the finance company which collect the payments by Direct Debit).

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Good Morning @Franticwiggling, I'd be happy to look into this for you on our side to see if we can locate the account that's been charging you, and flag this to the appropriate team.

Check out the purple envelope in the top right hand corner for a private message from me

Kindest regards,

David