cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple texts abroad

lynnetteian
Joining in

We arrived in Antigua days ago. I received the usual ‘welcome’ text advising call and text costs. 
However, my wife had received around 20 to 30 A DAY, saying welcome to the US / welcome to Jamaica / welcome to Barbados. 
Why oh why, and how can we stop them???

7 REPLIES 7

Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi lynnetteian, thanks for the message and welcome to the forums. Once abroad you would use the local network and we have no control over the texts you are now out of the UK. In regards to the different counties the handset may be connecting to a mast in a nearby country as they have a range of 35 miles. Can you try switching the roaming on the handset off and on to see if anything changes? ^Chris

Both my wife and I are Virgin users, both have IPhones, and both have roaming turned off. I have had just the one greet text, and she’s had over 150 in 6 days. 

Would you be able to switch roaming off and on and do a network on her phone to see if the issue persists? Chris

Back home in the UK now.

We never managed to resolve this, despite doing all sorts of things like changing roaming settings. Continued to receive 20+ texts every day, even up to the point of boarding the plane and going to flight safe mode. Guess this remain an unsolved mystery. 

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @lynnetteian,

I am sorry that this was not resolved for you, is everything working now you are back home?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Since this related to receiving “welcome to…” texts, yes everything returned to normal when we left Antigua. 
Maybe it was all due to flying close to the Bermuda Triangle. 

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for coming back to us and advising us of this. 

We will feed this back to our team.

Kind regards,

Zak_M