Menu
DJS23
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Mobile Data charges when data off

My son uses one of the mobiles on my account which he has used for the last few years.

We have the big data and texts bundle (payg).

Last month I received the new rollout sim which I put in his phone around the time I topped it up.

This month as well as the 3gb in his allowances he used £42 worth of data between 13th and 19th November.

On these dates there are hourly data usage although his phone is in his locker at school and mobile data was turned off.

I have tried ringing twice and I was told it was £2 a day if he goes over his allowance, then when I asked how he has been charged £10 on 14th I was told It is £2 a GB so apparently he can use 5gb of data while his phone is in his locker????? oh and that my son is obviously lying to me as he is obviously using all this data when he should be in class.

The second time I rang I was told that there are only 2 entries on the 15th (happened to be the one I will looking at when I rang) and was basically called a liar before they hung up.

15 Nov 15:13 Using the internet NO 182.96MB £2.00

15 Nov 14:13 Using the internet NO 20.19MB £0.00

15 Nov 13:13 Using the internet NO 154KB £0.00

15 Nov 12:13 Using the internet NO 86KB £0.00

15 Nov 11:13 Using the internet NO 165KB £0.00

15 Nov 10:13 Using the internet NO 108KB £0.00

15 Nov 09:13 Using the internet NO 1.02MB £0.00

15 Nov 08:13 Using the internet NO 51.10MB £0.00

15 Nov 07:56 Using the internet NO 124.97MB £2.00

Can anyone explain this then?

Could the new sim updating in his phone have changed a hidden setting that I can't find?

I think that I am going to be checking out deals with other providers and we will both change in the new year if this isn't resolved

Sorry for such a long post

0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Data charges when data off

Have a look through some of the Many existing threads about this.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/4G-eating-data-while-on-wifi/td-p/...

It's a problem that Virgin won't accept exists. They're convinced it's the user's fault & their only suggestion is to turn data off. This makes no difference, the only way to prevent this is to actually turn the phone off when not in use. 

I have 4 phones on monthly contracts. Over the past year or so I've had new sims in 3 of them & they all have this DEFECT since installing the new sims. Everything else with the phones etc is the same as before the sim change. I haven't changed the sim on the 4th phone (because of this problem) & that phone doesn't have the spurious data use. 

Customer service are clueless about this & Virgin don't acknowledge the problem. Occasionally a mod will reply to these posts with a suggestion (i.e., turn data of & see what happens) but then they all seem to realise it's too difficult for them & they don't come back to the thread. 

Ps there's some good pay monthly tariffs available that you can now cap for usage. It would probably work out a lot cheaper to look into a monthly deal (assuming you're still confident enough to stick with Virgin)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Mobile Data charges when data off

Lots of posts about this fault  virgin won't accept there's a problem, insisting it's the customer's fault  The only suggestion from them on this forum is to turn data off  This makes no difference, the only way to stop it is to turn the phone off  

I have 4 phones & since having new sims in 3of them this problem has started  The 4th phone with the older sim doesn't have the problem  The only advantage with the new sim is you can set a usage cap on the account. I doubt if you could do that with PAYG though  

Have a look through this long running thread about the fault  

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/4G-eating-data-while-on-wifi/m-p/3...

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Managing-Your-Account-Mobile/excess-data-usage/m-p/3866369#M223...

0 Kudos