cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mis sold a free package upgrade by Virgin Media. Now have an o2 SIM and getting billed for it

wattsy
Dialled in

On 15th December, I was called by a Virgin Media telesales lady who informed me that as a long-standing Virgin Media and o2 customer, I was entitled to a FREE upgrade consisting of a Broadband boost from 500mb to 1GB with a new Virgin Media Hub 4 and a free o2 SIM with 6 GB per month. As this seemed to good to be true, I asked at least 3 times (probably more like 6 in actuality) for confirmation that it was indeed free. On that basis, I took advantage of this deal. The reality was different: The router was never delivered (just a bag to send the old one back) and although I did receive a SIM, I also received a letter over a week later confirming the new SIM would incur a monthly cost of £12. This is clearly not was was confirmed on the phone by the Agent so I spoke immediately to Virgin Media who, after some failed attempts, managed to put me through to o2 who cancelled the contract as I was still (but only just) within my 14 day cancellation period.

Unfortunately, on checking my bank balance, the £12 was taken on 31st December so I am now trying to get this sorted; the SIM was never wanted and is unused so need it cancelling (again) and my money returned.

I called VM earlier today and spoke to a lady who said she would transfer me; that call disappeared into the ether so I'm now "on hold" via WhatsApp waiting up to 4 hours for a response.

This whole incident is deeply disturbing and I have asked Virgin Media to investigate what happened and they told me they would be carrying out an internal investigation which would result in the agent being taken off the phones and retraining offered. OK - that's all they can do now but the idea that they employ staff who deliberately misinform customers (or just plain lie) in order to get a sale and make commission is wholly wrong and needs stopping now. 

It seems absolutely impossible to contact either VM or o2 to make get this sorted. Does anyone have any bright ideas as to how I might make progress? 

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi wattsy,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened with your new package. 

With regards to the SIM card cancellation & refund. This would need to be done directly by O2. 

I can see you have advised the team have put you through to the before. If you call into the team again, I'm sure they will be able to pass you over. 

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi wattsy,

Thank you for your post. I'm very sorry to hear about what happened with your new package. 

With regards to the SIM card cancellation & refund. This would need to be done directly by O2. 

I can see you have advised the team have put you through to the before. If you call into the team again, I'm sure they will be able to pass you over. 

^Martin

Thanks Martin.

I did try contacting Virgin by phone yesterday and they transferred me into the ether where I held for 45 mins before giving up. I tried to contact o2 customer services but couldn't get through to a carbon-based unit so gave in. Then I tried the VM chat option which I transferred over to WhatsApp and, after 2 hours, the fella told me he couldn't help and to contact the Care Team or Billing Team.

It's super frustrating as I was mis-sold the upgrade and I've already gone through all of this on 29th December and was told by o2 that it was cancelled and I would not be charged. Both things now prove incorrect. All I want is to get the money that was improperly deducted from my account and to cancel the SIM that was provided following a dishonest sales pitch by a VM Telesales agent.

And all of this is just so spectacularly tricky due to impossibly bad customer services by VM/o2 who both point the finger at the other - hence, in desperation, I've ended up on here!

I'll try the phone/Twitter again I guess - though confidence is not high. I did contact OFCOM at the start of this sorry affair in late December and they suggested I raise an official complaint with VM so I'll get on with that as well.

Thank you for that information. So to confirm for different part, you would contact ourselves for any queries for your home services and you would contact O2 for queries on the SIM card. 

If you wish you can contact O2 directly and then discuss the SIM card with them. 

^Martin