cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Massive Virgin Mobile Breach of my Data

JS24
Joining in

Hi there,

I have been on the phone over the past two days concerning Virgin Mobile. Basically, someone managed to access my Virgin Mobile account over the phone yesterday despite failing the security procedures 9 times over 65 minutes. This was not flagged up and resulted in a PAC code being ordered and then this number being transferred to a different SIM, thus rendering my number gone, and me having to change all my details to ensure no further data/money could be taken. The operator on the phone today said that after 3 failed tries there should be a flag on the account, but this was not done.

I have managed to get Virgin Mobile to order me a new SIM with a retrieval of this number but I have lost all trust and faith in the company. I have made a complaint, and when told at 5:30pm to expect a call within two hours to discuss this complaint, surprise, no one rang me back, which means I will have to call again over the weekend, thus wasting more of my time. I am seeking renumeration for the stress and issues this has caused.

I am VERY unimpressed and I am seriously thinking about taking this further.

Please can someone get in touch with me.

4 REPLIES 4

goslow
Alessandro Volta

In any event, you should speak to ICO for this issue. You might want to discuss options with them

https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/

I believe the procedure for ICO is that you have to lodge a complaint with VM first (which, as you have discovered, will probably not come to anything useful). Given what has happened though, you might want to discuss all options with ICO first of all.

You should probably also speak to Action Fraud for further advice as this fraud may possibly involve elements of identity theft too.

https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/reporting-fraud-and-cyber-crime

I believe you should get a police crime reference number which may help you in dealing with any other organisations and the clear-up after this.

Someone from the VM forum team should reply here in due course.

Thanks for this. 

I appreciate it is not the fault of anyone who happens to help me on this forum from VM, but I am just frustrated this has happened and don't want anyone else having to go through it.

Thanks in advance to anyone from VM Helping.

Hi JS24, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear about the situation you've had. 

We will need to look further into this so we can ensure a complaint has been raised and that it's been reported to the relevant teams too. I will need to pass data protection with you. 
I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi JS24, 

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me vi private message. 

I'm glad I've been able to give you an update. If you have any further issues, pop back and let us know. 

In the meantime, take care. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs