Menu
Cooper995
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Longer Phone Number

I have been billed by Virgin Mobile for texting abroad, even though the number I phoned was in the UK. I phoned Virgin's support, but all they said to me was that the person I was texting was abroad at the time - the number shows as Russia or Kazakhstan in my bill. The thing is, I know the text wasn't sent abroad and it also was not sent to a person. It was sent to a data logger instrument that had a sim card in it. The instrument was in my hand when I sent the text. I was sat at my desk in the UK at the time. Even more than that, the instrument allows me to triangulate its position on an online map. Attached is a screenshot of the text page of my mobile showing the phone number at the top. As you can see it clearly shows +44 at the start. I know this is the correct phone number as I got a reply from the instrument, as shown in the bottom left of the screenshot. On my bill the +44 is missing. I spoke to the manufacturer of the instrument and they informed me that to buy a sim card with more than one service supplier, the only place to get it is the Isle of Man. This causes the phone number to be longer than a standard UK mobile number - 13 instead of 11.

Has anybody had this problem before? I am not going to phone technical help again, because this problem is not on their script, so they cannot help me. Is there anybody else who can resolve this, without having to post this problem to Virgin? Do they not have an e-mail address I can forward this to? The only one I have found is the Online Dispute Resolution, but I don't think I need to go that far yet.

wp_ss_20180308_0001.pngBill.jpg

0 Kudos
Cooper995
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Longer Phone Number

I had meant to say that the reason I think I was charged is to do with the length of the phone number. I don't think Virgin Mobile's system can handle 13 digit mobile numbers. Can anyone confirm or deny this, please?

On my account I do not get charged for texting mobile numbers in the UK.
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Can't see pictures yet untill approved.

Am i right thinking, the sim you text is from/has Isle Of Man number, if so, you will be charged because your texting a non UK number?

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
Cooper995
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I am new to this forum. What needs to be approved for you to be able to see the pictures?

I have been charged for 5 text, but when you are able to see the screenshot I have actually sent six text. The sixth text only has 1 zero at the start instead of 2, and still no 44 in it. This is listed on my bill as Isle of Man or Channel Islands. I have not been charged for this text. I have not attached a screen shot of this element of my bill.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't think we can approve images with phone numbers on them as anyone see them and that's not a good thing on the internet, however the Virgin staff can see them reguardless

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Cooper995,

teabag has hit the nail on the head here. 07624 is an IOM number, therefore not in the UK and you have been correctly charged 30p for each International text message.

AlexKid :-)

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Cooper995
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The number I phoned began with 00447624, not 07624. This is a British number. The instrument are used all over the country and the other service providers do not have a problem with this being a British number, so other colleagues are not charge for using these phone numbers. The sixth text appeared as 07624 in my bill and I was not charged for it. It did list it as Isle of Man or Channel Islands.
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

A little info on 07624 numbers

https://www.area-codes.org.uk/mobile/07624-numbers.php

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos