Menu
Sherry23
Joining in
Message 1 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Locked to network

I have a new Alcatel Pixi 4 bought online from Virgin Media. After a complete faff with new sim cards being sent out I managed to get my old number onto my new phone (all Virgin). I have been using it for about a week with no problems then suddenly today it said "Enter SIM ME lock" and then "network locked-Emergency calls only". I have tried 1234 which was what a text when I first installed the SIM said. I have tried my unlock code for the phone without and then follwed by 7890 as on the website, and 7890 on it's own and nothing is working. Obviously I can't call 789 to get help and I don't have another phone. Pretty fed up as this has been a nightmare from start to finish and I am ready to admit defeat, throw the towel in and go with another provider if I can't resolve this situation. Please can anyone advise?

0 Kudos
Myers91
Tuning in
Message 2 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Re: Locked to network

SIM ME LOCK means your phone is locked to a provider other than the sim you've put in, given that you have a Virgin Phone and a Virgin sim I'd say this is an issue with the sim similar to the issue I'm having.

I got a new sim from Virgin when I changed my sim only tariff from the £25 one to the £15 one. Works in my current phone but I wanted to switch to my old phone so I could sell my current one. Won't work though just asks for a sim unlock pin as if the phone is locked despite me using the phone in question with the previous virgin sim I had.

I requested an unlock code last Wednesday got told it would be done by Friday, phoned Friday they told me Monday. Monday I missed a call from the IT department, voicemail said they'd call back but they didn't. Called customer services they said they don't have the extension for the IT department so all they can do is put a note on the system, they said it would be sorted by Wednesday. Called on Wednesday got told all the same stuff.

I'm also sick of it by this point so I requested to cancel my contract and they said they can't cancel it for me until the end of the month and I'd have to call back. I wish UK call centres were available for Virgin Mobile, the Indian ones haven't got a clue what they're doing.

0 Kudos
Sherry23
Joining in
Message 3 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I think you're right. I bought a brand new phone and it arrived and I rang to swap in my old number (which is simple according to the website) and they said they were issuing new sims so first they had to send me a sim for the new number (1 day old) then when that arrived I had to call back and they issued me a new sim for my old number, so that was a week to do anything. Then they could not transfer my new balance to my old number as it was free air time with the new phone. Then they said they had put my new number and my old number on the same account I'd set up but when I log in I can only see my new number (not using that) and to get my old number to my online account I need to retrieve my old number account which I can't do as I don't know the logins and the work around is to have a code pinged to my phone number which is locked. I don't know why it's so complicated. I have pay as you go because I only ever use my mobile to call/text my husband to sort out who is picking who up when or on the odd occasion I am meeting friends and one of us is running late etc. I can't deal with the hassle. I also can't stand the cold calls supposedly from Virgin.
0 Kudos
chets
Up to speed
Message 4 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Sounds like a SIM setting may have caused the issue of the Unlock screen appearing.

If you put your SIM into an unlocked phone and do the following:

1. Go to the menu

2. There should be an app called 'Virgin' which looks like a SIM

3. Select 'Roaming'

4. Select 'Select Mode'

5. Select 'Automatic'

6. Insert your SIM back into the Alcatel and hopefully you should be back up and running.

I would also suggest getting the unlock code from Virgin just in case this issue happens again.

0 Kudos
Sherry23
Joining in
Message 5 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Thanks I will try that when I get home and can get access to another phone using the same size SIM card.

0 Kudos
chets
Up to speed
Message 6 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Any luck?
0 Kudos
Sherry23
Joining in
Message 7 of 22
Flag for a moderator

Fraid not it just says enter SIM ME password in another phone!

0 Kudos
chets
Up to speed
Message 8 of 22
Flag for a moderator

sounds like the other phone you've tried is also network locked!

0 Kudos
Sherry23
Joining in
Message 9 of 22
Flag for a moderator

I put a different SIM card in this phone (the one that was locked) and it's working fine (the phone) at the moment. Surely the lock is on the SIM card so whichever phone I put it into it will be locked. When I have the patience to call Virgin I will do so, but I can't believe they don't have live chat to sort this problem out. For now I won't be bothered by anyone ;-)

0 Kudos
chets
Up to speed
Message 10 of 22
Flag for a moderator

the message you are seeing 'SIM ME' points to the device being locked.

What SIM did you put in the phone where it is working correctly? Is it your previous Virgin SIM or EE by any chance?

0 Kudos