Menu
Jessyellen
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Insufficient information

I decided to upgrade from a basic Alcatel flip phone to iPhone 7 but could not get on with it due to not understanding it's technology. I'm 63 and have some basic knowledge but got terrified when after 4 days had message to say had used 75% of my data and had no idea on what!!! Rang to say wanted to return the phone and asked what I needed to do to the iPhone before returning it and would my old phone then work as it had invalid sim. Was told the letter with return bag would explain what to do and my old phone would work. Letter with return bag only said to turn off find my phone and reactivate lock to get further help on website which tells you nothing more so had to call again as to wether I remove sim and what else I needed to remove on iPhone. Returned phone but had to call again to get my old phone sim working again. Explained it had standard sim which is invalid and she told me to use the nano sim from iPhone which would work...I mean really, even I know that's nonsense. So yet another call and finally got the correct information they would send me a new sim with current number. Got the sim two days later but had to call again because it didnt work and she had to activate it. My point is I should have been told this when first asking if my old phone would work saving me several phone calls, nobody took the time to explain to me what I should do. Customer service staff should take into account not all of us have the knowledge to understand how the system works. The whole episode was very distressing to me as I had no idea what I was doing or if my Alcatel phone would ever work and wished I'd never gone through the process of upgrading!!!

M

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Daniel_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Insufficient information

Hi Jessyellen

Really sorry to hear the upgrade didn't go to plan and you went back to your hold phone.

I'm also sorry to hear of the service you received when you inquired about returning the iPhone 7, all the information should have been correctly supplied to you at the time.

I do hope you have since managed to get your Alcatel phone working again if not let us know.

Thanks,

Daniel_G - Forum Team

Need help swapping your SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM here. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jessyellen
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The phone is working but on Monday I called again as noticed the "WAP" symbol has appeared on the screen, I do not use or intend to use the Internet on the phone and can't turn it off. Lady was helpfull and searched instruction manual for my phone but also couldn't see how to turn it off. She said it would be turned off from her end and take 24hrs but it's still there and I really can't be bothered to call yet again!!! Can you sort it as it's draining the battery which is poor at the best of times?

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If data has been turned off our end you shouldn't be able to see this symbol.

Can you provide the full make and model of the handset and we'll take a look further for you.

Thanks

DanielG

Daniel_G - Forum Team

Need help swapping your SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM here. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
Jessyellen
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The  phone is an Alcatel 2051X

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If you go to settings > Connections > Data connection Settings, this should turn this off,

I used the information from this website

Hope this helps

Thanks,

DanielG

Daniel_G - Forum Team

0 Kudos
Jessyellen
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

been there done that can't do anything.... just says "connect when needed" nothing to turn off or on.

0 Kudos
Jessyellen
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Would just add that WAP did not appear on the screen until Virgin activated the SIM card, therefore Virgin activated it and surely should be able to turn it off.

0 Kudos