cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Immediate credit file amendment

Alexbaxter
Joining in
I am currently in the process of a mortgage application, however the mortgage company have now declined my mortgage due to a default on my credit score from October 2020 that is linked with virgin. 
The debt was for £32.56 
That address is my ex marital home which I vacated in November 2019 and was solely occupied by my ex wife after that date. 
I was unaware of the outstanding amount of £32.56 until yesterday when I got declined the mortgage. I would of paid that debt straight away if I would of known about it in 2020 but due to not living there as well as the height of the covid pandemic I didnt have access to letters or other correspondents, I also didn’t get any phone calls or emails to say I had the outstanding amount. 
I have phoned virgin this morning and have subsequently paid that debt today as the account was closed in 2020. 
As the default is on my credit file I am now not able to get a mortgage for 6 years, for the sake of £32.56, even though I knew nothing about this outstanding balance. 
I really need this default to be removed from my credit file with immediate effect
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

You advised in a previous message that your ex-partner was dealing with the closing of the account. They would have been notified off a final bill. 

^Martin

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

15 REPLIES 15

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

afaik paying the outstanding debt will not get the result you hope for as it will now be marked as paid but the history of the outstanding debt will not be removed from your credit file - needs more knowledgeable heads tan mine and i will flag @Andrew-G who will hopefully be able to pont you in the direction you need to go

but i think if you want the reference deleted you need to prove the debt was your ex wifes and not yours - maybe start a conversation with a mortgage broker

as to VM removing anything dont hold your breath for anything to happen in a hurry so again you need to try and work around the problem

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Alexbaxter,

Thanks for your post and welcome to the community.

Apologies for the issues faced regarding this, may I ask when you left the property, was the name transferred over to your ex wife's name?
Let us know,

Kain

Hi

it wasn’t transferred into her name as we were selling it, the fact I had no emails or phone calls to say I owed any money wasn’t my fault, I had no way of entering the property and it was my ex wife who cancelled virgin. I had no way to know that money was owed 

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I can understand the frustration this has caused, 

I know it may be from a while ago however did you receive a final bill for the service when cancelled?

If so were there any charges present?
Thanks,

Kain

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Kain_W wrote:

I can understand the frustration this has caused, 

I know it may be from a while ago however did you receive a final bill for the service when cancelled?

If so were there any charges present?
Thanks,

surely the answer to that is above - the OP had left the house - he had no access and his ex wife handled the cancellation - it does not take much to workout he had no paper work from VM - thats not saying non existed but................................

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Didn’t receive a final bill or anything, first I knew about it was yesterday when I got rejected for a mortgage. Not one email, not one phone call, even though I’m virgin mobile and changed my address. 

No charges either, when I paid the amount today it was just the final payment of £32. 
Caller VM today and they refused to escalate it further and wouldn’t let me speak to a manager. 
disgusting!

Thank you for that information Alexbaxter. We do certainly appreciate your frustration with what the mark on your credit file.

To confirm, was the account itself in your name or your ex-partners name? 

^Martin

I will have to double check but I know that the direct debit was from the joint account, which I was taken off prior to October 2020C therefore reinforcing the fact I had no way to find out about this debt. If I’d have received even one email or one phone call back in 2020 this wouldn’t even have to have been an issue to resolve. When speaking to VM yesterday I had never once missed a payment, and I have never once missed a payment for my current phone contract! 
If I don’t get an email/letter starting that this will come off my credit file with immediate effect then me and my 4 year old daughter won’t have anywhere to live. 
it’s not good enough that VM won’t Escalade this further and that the credit file team don’t have a contact number and will only get back to me within 21 days! 21 days is to late.