cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ID Fraud victim CRYING for help

chikotw
Joining in

Hi - I am a victim of ID fraud. Fraudsters opened a mobile phone contract in my name with Virgin. A mobile phone and sim card  addressed to me were delivered to my address . I knew straight away what had happened. There was no documentation or anything in the packaging. I phoned virgin customer care . The first 2 calls I was not helped at all. The 3rd call was a little fruitful. I was given a reference number and told to wait 3- 5 days . I didn't hear back. I phoned again and again then I was given 2 more reference numbers. I received a phone call from Virgin resolutions team. A lady left a message to say the investigations team haven't updated on my case so I should wait. She called again the following day but the call dropped. That was it. Now Virgin has taken £44 from my bank. I am stuck here with a phone I never applied for. I'm afraid if I do a direct debit indemnity I will be black listed which is a problem because I am just about to apply for a mortgage. The phone and sim card are intact. I have not opened them. I am  waiting for Virgin to tell me what to do next but no one is saying anything. Honestly, I could have sent the packaging back and the account could have been cancelled since it was within a few days of the account being opened but I was told to wait to hear back. I am desperate.

I reported to Action Fraud and was given a crime reference number, I have paid £25 to CIFAS to try and limit the damage on my credit reputation. I have contacted stop id fraud and credit reference agencies. 

I am desperate as I think Virgin is not being helpful in my plight. I have tried using the text service twice. I have not heard anything back. I have emailed but got no reply or acknowledgement. 

I am actually grateful that fraudsters who did this failed to intercept the packaging. My disappointment is the silence from Virgin. 

Please advise on what I can do. 

Regards

Chikotw

7 REPLIES 7

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Chikotw, 

Thanks for your post and welcome to the forums. It's great having you on board with us in the Community. 

I'm sorry to hear that you're having an issue with this. We're not able to look at fraud cases through the Forum I'm afraid so the only thing I can advise is to speak to the team on 0345 600 0789. They can ensure this is raised to the correct team and go form there. 

Let us know how you get on. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

But is this the fraud team or its the customer service call centre? If it is then there is no hope for me because I have been speaking to them and nothing has really moved.

Thanks for coming back to us @chikotw, the number that Kath_F has given in the post above is the customer service team and they will be able to raise your case and get this investigated by the fraud team.

Please could you try to call them again to report and let me know if they are able to do so.

Regards,

Steven_L

Thank you Steve, I will call them and let you know how I get on.

Thanks @chikotw and please do let me know, how you get on.

Regards,

Steven_L

Hi Steve,

Thank you for your help. Virgin sent me a bag to return the device which I did. It was delivered back to Virgin and a refund of £33 was done . However, the other amount of £11 was not done. I phoned customer service yesterday. The agent could locate any information on me in the system. However, he said he had completed another form. I need the £11 back because I sent back both the mobile device and the sim card pack. 

That's where I am now. 

Regards

Tendai

Hi chikotw, 

Thanks for coming back to us and updating us on how things are going. 

We're glad to hear that things are moving in the right direction. Once the relevant team reach the form that was filled in, they will be in touch further to discuss things. 

Hopefully there will be a swift end to things for you. 

Please let us know if you have any further issues. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs