Menu
PetHelpers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

I feel completely scammed by Virgin.

I will keep it simple.

1:  We had a 2GB contract.

2:  We used too much data, got a text message explaining that we could be charged additional costs.

3:  We immediatly logged in and upgraded to the 4GB + triple data offer (12GB) total.

4:  Upgrade was a success, got a text saying thanks etc and the text message warnings stopped.

5:  Three weeks later, we have a £50 data charge on top of our normal costs.

6:  Apparently the new contract only kicks in after the current month on the old contract finishes, meaning we were charged £3 a day for 3 weeks.

Feel like a mug to be honest, I'm normally pretty sharp with stuff like this.  Upgrading was painless and instant and at no point was it clear that the new contract wasn't active.  

Digging around since the shock bill, it seems the "triple data offer" hasn't materialised either - we have used 2.5GB of our 4GB despite the offer at the time having a 12GB total allowance.

Spoke to Customer Services who basically blamed me and said whilst they will send a note to complaints department, I shouldn't be expecting any sort of satisfactory resolution.

I am a small fish, but if it isn't resolved, I will be using trading standards and any other body which is able to help.  VM should not be able to operate this way - pretty disgusting.

0 Kudos
PetHelpers
Tuning in
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I feel completely scammed by Virgin.

I should add, I didn't want to upgrade, simply wanted the Data cut off until refresh date.  Conveniently, not an option - and if even 1kb is used on any given day, £3.  Since the "mobile data" switch on most androids still for some reason lets packets through, was trapped into a more expensive contract.  Can't believe I've fallen for this.

G.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: I feel completely scammed by Virgin.

Hi PetHelpers,

Thanks for posting. Sorry about the confusion regarding the tariff change.

I upgraded my tariff the other day and the information is on there to say it's effective from your next refresh date but it can be missed if you proceed through the steps quickly of course.

I'm not sure why your new tariff didn't kick in though. I believe you have have called in since posting and had the correct changes made this time so hopefully you don't get any further unexpected bills.

If you find you've exceeded your data again then the best option is to purchase more data as this is instant. Take a look at our Virgin Mobile Pay Monthly Data Add-Ons help page for more information.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos