cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Declined

TraceyJ1
Tuning in

I attempted to upgrade my mobile - my credit check failed!  I have been with Virgin for many years mobile, broadband & landline - I have a credit score rated as excellent - after spending a whole evening on the phone being transferred to several people the situation has not been resolved - how can I have a credit request declined when I have an excellent credit rating?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

space_cowby
Superfast

Many others have had this problem and obtained contracts from other providers....

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

41 REPLIES 41

space_cowby
Superfast

Many others have had this problem and obtained contracts from other providers....

I know - I was transferred several times and still did not get a definitive answer!  I am looking to leave Virgin!!!

Mattfink
Joining in
**SAME ISSUE** Phoned virgin to leave my £47/pm contract with EE for a £13 SIM only contract with Virgin.

During the credit check proces I was declined - after delving I found that virgin use Equifax (one of three major credit reporting agencies). However, after a quick Google It does appear to be an issue with Virgin customers. I instantly contacted Experian who I have used before and my credit rating is 999 out of 999!!! So why virgin declined my £13 PM is beyond me!

The worst part is the lady on the phone (clearly using a script!) proceeded to ask me if I have any other accounts I could try with! That would have a negative impact on your credit, showing multiple failed checks! THIS is unacceptable and if anyone reads this, do NOT go through with further checks. After calling back I went in circles and could be helped by anyone. So I will simply be looking for an alternative provider.

I went with Tesco Mobile - great service - all done on line & phone delivered quickly - no problems at all during the purchase & since!!!

Haley6606
Just joined

I have just had the same issue 'credit declined'.  When I phoned I was told I was a credit level 2 and needed to be 3 for an iPhone 8. I could increase my credit level by getting a SIM only contract or a worse phone than I have already, hmm! I have been a Broadband/TV/landline customer for more years than I care to remember and am constantly bombarded with emails to get a mobile. I was going to complain and came across this thread whilst trying to find out how to complain. As it seems I would be wasting my time in complaining I'll be looking for another provider instead. Thanks for the information everyone.

catswhiskers46
Just joined

Surely to god...Someone at Virgin Mobile needs to address this constant occurrence!!!

I left Virgin Mobile a couple of years ago because I was declined. Ironically a person I know went on next day with a poor credit rating and CCJ's and was granted an expensive new bloody phone.

Since then my temper has calmed and was looking to change my mobile. Virgin Mobile came up at a competitive cost.

After trying to order online I called. My credit was cleared but was not high enough for a IPhone 7. 

I have no mortgage, top credit rating with Experian, no loans and have NEVER defaulted on any payment in all my years.

Why are they loosing so much business off people that are obviously good payers.

Anger revisited

@TraceyJ1

Hi there catswhiskers46, thank you for your post.

While I can understand failing this is frustrating there will be a reason as to why this has happened. As we don't keep any of your financial information we advise any questions regarding reasons why can be queried with Equifax who we use to run these checks.

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules

Triumph1
Joining in

I’ve had exactly the same issues today. Tried to renew my mobile contract and was told my credit rating was no good. I logged onto Equifax as instructed and my rating is excellent with no flaggs so after around two hours on the phone, Virgin told me to email the credit check to them. I’ve since had a reply stating they will reply to my email within 21 days!!!! I currently pay £63 per month for broadband, phone and TV. and am constantly receiving calls from them to upgrade to a higher package, they are quite willing to increase my bill by over £21 but declined my mobile request for an extra £6 per month.  Just called Tesco who will sign me up on a contract cheaper than Virgin. I’m currently looking to move to Sky or BT for the rest of my media services after over 20 years with Virgin!!!! POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE ALL ROUND. 🤬🤬

Hi there Triumph1, welcome to our forums.

I'm sorry to hear that you have had issues when trying to get a phone.

Once the credit team reply to your email they will be happy to advise further on this for you.

Thanks

Nathan B

The do's and don'ts. Keep the community welcoming for all. Follow the house rules