I have been with VM for 10 years on contract paid by Direct Debit

Wanted to add a sim only deal for £6 pcm

As an existing customer

Called from my reg Virgin Mobile

Had a credit check done under protest

Passed security ?

Passed Bank verification question

Then finally asked for a credit card and security 3 digit

WHY when monthly payment is increasing the direct debit. There are no current or additional purchase required. Is this even legal in UK Banking 

8 REPLIES 8

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @AndrewLam

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

We can understand your concern regarding the security checks and the setup while you already have a direct debit with us. This is just part of the verification process to ensure everything runs well with the changes requested. Please let us know if you need any further help and we will be happy to assist.

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thank you for the reply.

But it's not just the existing direct debit.

Please look again at the verification I gave.

You could use one step further either a code to my phone or to my email.

It is not acceptable to ask for credit card if no purchase is being paid by the card

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

We're sorry you feel this way, AndrewLam. 

We are required to adhere to a strict set of regulations in regard to our services. The checks and information requested are so we can look at the information we have available, the details you have given us, and then register and check your information with credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies who will then also check the details of anyone you are financially associated with – for example, people you may have a joint bank account with.

When providing those details, you are not charged and this is just so we can verify and continue with your order compliantly. Depending on your bank, you may see something like an "Active Card Check", which has no charge associated to it.

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

Thank You for your reply.

Firstly your answer is just a  stock statement.

I have worked for Banks and for I.T. security companies. So I am well versed in standard checks and procedures.

I have spoke to my bank about this incident, and they were suprised with the request, as nothing was associated to an actual sale.

As a company you are leaving yourselves exposed if your customers details were exposed, it was your sales person request for credit card details with 3 digit pin that caused concern.

Again let me state verification process I went through.

Called on phone registered with VM

Email address checked

Password check passed

Bank details of current DD passed

Credit check passed.

5 levels of security passed

If you required a further check it should not involve a credit card.

I will now have to complain to the Finacial Ombudsman 

Hi @AndrewLam thanks for your reply here.

You may feel that Reece's response was a stock answer, but it is a genuine one and the one we must reiterate to you once again.

To repeat, we are required to adhere to a strict set of regulations in regard to our services. The checks and information requested are so we can look at the information we have available, the details you have given us, and then register and check your information with credit reference agencies and fraud prevention agencies who will then also check the details of anyone you are financially associated with – for example, people you may have a joint bank account with.

When providing those details, you are not charged and this is just so we can verify and continue with your order compliantly. Depending on your bank, you may see something like an "Active Card Check", which has no charge associated to it.

Many thanks

Tom_W

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

This is of course a complete nonsense when someone has previously passed all necessary security checks and has been a customer for many years.

I suspect the real reason is that the SIM deal is with 02 and in spite of the tie-up between the two companies 02 want their own security checks.

If a separate credit check is required for a SIM deal, use it to go with another provider than 02, whose coverage is rated inferior to its  competitors.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/04/opensignal-reveal-uk-best-4g-and-5g-mobile-networks-fo...

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Had already done credit search.plus 4 previous checks.

Then the audacity to want full details of a credit card with 3 pin digit.

BUT there is not anything to be charged to the credit card,

as there would be a  change of amount on a previous long standing direct debit.

We shall see what the FO say about this

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Your choice of course, but haven't they wasted enough of your time already?

I'd just leave it and go to a better mobile network. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.