Menu
Highlighted
leebradt
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Complaint & lack of service re Virgin Mobile

I have an ongoing issue with Virgin Mobile regarding a repair and their seeming complete lack of customer care, plus the sheer frustration of not being able to make an overseas agent understand the issue at hand and being cut off and  fobbed off, several times. The sequence of events is as follows :

2 weeks ago, my mobile went off for no reason and several Apps on my phone became blank saying that they would not work because the phone could not access the SD card. I rebooted the phone and the Apps worked for a short time until the same issue occurred again. Then an error message appeared on the phone saying the SD card was ejecting, but I had not touched the card since it was put in the phone, nearly 2 years previously, when I got it on Contract.

I removed the card and tested it in another phone and it worked perfectly, I also tested another SD card in the problem phone and it did not recognise it. When I put the SD card in the slot for the second time, the IEMI white piece of paper, disappeared into the phone itself and I could not see it again.

I then called Virgin Mobile and explained the problem and they advised that the phone would be repaired under Warranty unless there had been screen or water damage, none of which has ever happened to the phone. They sent a pack and I posted the phone.

On Friday 1st September I received an email from Virgin acknowledging receipt of my phone and would receive notification within 2 working days regarding the repair situation. - ‘We wanted to let you know that your Virgin Mobile phone has arrived safe and sound at our repair centre’.

On Saturday 2nd September  I received an email from Virgin, stating “ Job number: 939353

Description of damage: IMEI label (normally inside SIM/SD card slot) is missing from handset Repair cost: £120.

We'd like to chat with you to see if you want to pay for the fix, or if you'd prefer the phone sent back to you unrepaired.

What to do now. We’re sorry but we can’t reply to emails sent to this address, so please don’t reply to this email. If you’d like to discuss anything, give the team a call on 789 from your Virgin Media mobile, 150 from your Virgin Media landline, or 0345 6000 789 from any other provider. 

If we don’t catch up within 4 days, we'll automatically send your phone back unrepaired.”

I immediately called Virgin Mobile and got through to Customer Services overseas again and they just could not understand what I was telling them, so in sheer frustration I called back and managed to speak to someone in England, called Daniel. He appeared helpful and  to understand the situation explained to him, but he advised the repair centre was now closed, but assured me he would contact them on Monday (when they were next working)  to explain that the IMEI paper had slid inside the phone and that it was not ‘missing’ as claimed.

I also stressed at the time that I did not want the phone coming back, but did not want to pay for the repair either, but wanted to explain to the repair team that the IMEI paper was in the phone and they should open it up to find the paper. He then promised to call me on Monday, when he was next working, after speaking to the repair team and call me back. I am still waiting for a call back !!!

By Monday 4th September night I had heard nothing back, so called Virgin Mobile again after 6.00 pm. After waiting for close to 20 minutes, I got through to a foreign customer services person, who clearly did not understand the issue, but said she would call the Repair Centre to speak to them. I was on hold for 10 minutes, then she came back and apologised for the wait, but they were busy and she couldn’t get through. She said she would try again and put me on hold, only to then wait for a further 10 to 15 minutes before the line cut out and I was back to square 1.

I tried to call back and the automated message said the wait was 15 minutes, so in an act of desperation I called the Retention number to cancel my Contract. Once again I got a foreign customer services person who spoke better English and was helpful. I explained the situation again to him and he attempted to call the Repair Centre, but said they closed at 5.00 pm!! This was very puzzling as the previous operator and had me holding twice, when clearly they were closed, so someone was not telling the truth.  He told me that I would have to contact them during the day, which is very difficult for me due to work commitments.

As instructed, I called again on 5th September at 12.30 pm, and got through to someone called Jake, again an agent abroad, but spoke good English and appeared helpful. For the 6th time I repeated the outline of events / facts etc, stressing that the IMEI paper was in the phone and the fault was prior to the IMEI paper going inside the phone. He put me on hold as he said he was trying to contact the Repair Team, but there was no reply.

He did acknowledge that had I called several times he said he would try and sort this issue personally and promised that he would call me back today with an answer. I gave him my Works Number, as well as my Home Number (a Virgin Landline), in case he could not get through to me on my mobile (due to the poor reception both at work and home), but again, I heard absolutely nothing back.

At 6.00 pm on 5th September I then got a text from Virgin stating that  DPD would be delivering my phone back on 6th September, which was completely against my wishes that I had advised on the Saturday (within the 4 days when they said they would want a decision). I immediately called 789 again and pressed the cancellation option and got through to a foreign operator who could not speak English very well and clearly didn’t understand what I was saying. All I did get from her was notification that a complaint had been raised the previous day (No. COM101840525) and someone would be in contact within 5 days. As yet I have not had a response.

To cap off an awful episode, I had to contact DPD because had I known the phone was coming back I would have had it re-directed to another address, as I would not be at home to take delivery. It took 20 minutes on the phone, at my cost, before DPD answered and they said they could not re-direct and I then had to divert it to a collection centre, which is more inconvenience.

I am extremely frustrated and annoyed that I cannot speak to someone  in the repair centre who actually understands the issue. If I receive an adequate explanation to why this cannot be repaired, then I can accept the decision, but the constant promises of coming back with an answer, supposedly calling the Repair Centre, is shocking customer service.

It appears that someone who is a long standing customer since NTL days close on 20 years ago and who has Virgin telephone, Mobile, TV and Broadband is not considered important enough to provide decent service and any sort of appreciation for thier loyalty. In my own job, I have to deal daily with customers and if I treated customers with the same standards I have received from Virgin Mobile, then we would lose customers in droves.

I would be very interested to hear your response to my complaint and a solution to the problem with my phone. I am a very tolerant person and have always been very happy with Virgin, hence being a longstanding customer, but this episode has left me feeling very angry and frustrated.

stevenross
Tuning in
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Complaint & lack of service re Virgin Mobile

I feel your pain. Virgin Mobile 'customer service' is a shambles and is doing severe damage to their reputation.

Here's my recent experience: Mobile support cut you off rather than fix the problem

Whatever cost savings they might be making, it's all for nothing if they treat their customers so badly. A quick scan through this forum highlights the damage that's getting done.

Good luck with your problem.

leebradt
Tuning in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. The more I read, I realise that my issues are being experienced by many others.

leebradt
Tuning in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Just to add to above fiasco. Got the phone back yesterday (despite asking for it to be checked again) and it has not been factory re-set as they advised. Not sure what the repair team actually did?
No response to my post from a moderator, or anything regarding the complaint number. Are you going to respond??????
leebradt
Tuning in
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Still no response from Virgin Mobile re Complaint or VM people who moderate this site. Clearly customers don't matter.
0 Kudos
enlli
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

What make of phone?  The manufactures support centres will often repair your phone when Virgin won't. Samsung are particularly good judging by experiences on here, but so are many of the others

0 Kudos
leebradt
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

It's Sony. Might try that option thanks.
0 Kudos
leebradt
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Virgin Mobile still not got in contact as they undertook to do, within  5 working days, in response to my complaint. Neither have they responded to this thread.

Clearly their customer service and appreciation of the their customers in appalling. You only have to look at the link below to realise just how shockingly bad their customer service is.

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/virginmobile.co.uk

Well, now is the time to start escalating things.

0 Kudos
CT15
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I also have a problem with mobile phone. Device didn't want to turn on so got involved with the repair team who at first seemed helpful. Sent me packaging to send phone off together with email saying your phone is under warranty good job as the repair would cost 78 quid (not sure how they can cost anything without knowing what is wrong). Gave them a contact number and heard nothing for a week until an email saying "tried to contact you but unable to, we have found the fault it is a cracked LCD. Guess what? Not covered by warranty that will be 78 quid please. You have 4 days to respond. Strange that the amount is what was guestimates. Hot of the press! I have just had a text on the number they couldn't reach me on which says phone will be returned to me on the 13th by DPD. Is it repaired or not? What happened to my 4 days to get back? Awful service won't renew with this shower

0 Kudos
leebradt
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Exactly the same happened to me re repair. Absolute joke.
0 Kudos