Menu
Nodrog35
Tuning in
Message 81 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Re: Charged for mobile data, but using home wifi

Nathan,

You have completely missed the point. My wife was originally on a 100Mb account. She had turned off ALL data because of previous over use charges and didn't even use the phone with WIFI at home. Late last year, VM increased the allowance to 300Mb. Still ALL data remained switched off. When she had her new phone at Christmas the data was switched on, but DID NOT exceed the 300MB allowance. It was over the previous 100Mb but still not over the new 300Mb which had been in place for several months. However she WAS CHARGED for exceeding the allowance.   When this was challenged, the person at the other end of the phone stated that there was an error and the £9 charges incurred would be taken off the bill. This has not happened.   If the same thing has happened with many VM customers then they will have a pretty sum sitting in their account gaining interest at our expense.

In this day and age, with the financial technology we have at our disposal the correction should have been made virtually instantly and the sum of money not taken in the first place. Even though there was near two weeks between being notified and the account being settled VM were unable to stop the taking of a sum of money they were not entitled to.

I am surprised there are still customers left considering the dissatisfaction being expressed on these forums. There will certainly be two less in the very near future!

BruceStevens
On our wavelength
Message 82 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Nathan's link is just more of the same. No good to anyone. It seems clear there is either a profound technical problem that management is refusing to deal with - or somebody's bright idea of how to screw more cash out of customers.
Btw it can't be just a 4G issue as this old iphone 4S only does 3 G.
peterhadburn
On our wavelength
Message 83 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Bruce check the mobile settings for mobile networks  and then network mode. it is different on some phones But switch off the 4G or LTE . Mine is just GSM/WCDMA . It appears that despite not being on a 4G contract it is doing little interactions with data even when data is switched off. It is a ridiculous situation. I got refunded but this guy Nathan has obviously not read the posts in this thread. Virgin have a technical issue that needs fixing and they also should refund everyone.  

0 Kudos
BruceStevens
On our wavelength
Message 84 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Can't find any such but thanks!
Big irony - am having to do this on phone data because Virgin website has decreed there's a spam problem with my ISP - adding insult to injury.
Fortunately it should easy enough to switch - just got to choose.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
BruceStevens
On our wavelength
Message 85 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Update to this miserable saga; the extra amount billed for data before the allowance was used, and that the 'helpline' told me was a mistake and would not be taken...any guesses? Yes, it WAS taken. So I called again and after being cut off THREE times, managed to get through. And the complaint reference I had been given on the first call had been marked as 'complete'. Not yet it isn't! And I was told the matter would be escalated to management and I would be called 'within 48 to 72 hours'. So lets wait with baited breath for the next development...
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 86 of 171
Flag for a moderator

HI Nodrog35,

Thanks for coming back.

If anyone is affected by the data charges but are still within their allowance then we're looking at ways of proactively crediting those customers.

I'm sorry this wasn't done for you on this occasion but rest assured I've now added the £9.00 credit to come off her next bill.

I urge you to keep a close eye on things and let me know if there are any further charges (although it's easier when the bill is produced).

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
peterhadburn
On our wavelength
Message 87 of 171
Flag for a moderator

It should be easy tp recognise everyone who has suffered on this. Any person charged for those 4g packets. With no other real internet activity. I hope to read that everyone has been refunded. 

Nodrog35
Tuning in
Message 88 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Rich,

Thank you for getting back on this. I do appreciate the gesture, however, errors like this should not happen in the first place. I will be disappointed if she does get further charges as her data package has been increased considerably since the last renewal date. Rest assured, we have been looking carefully at other providers should further errors occur.

regards,

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 89 of 171
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nodrog35,

No mobile network is foolproof. Someone else somewhere will have a fault or issue with another provider but I appreciate your concerns. The only thing I can do is apologise and reiterate it's being investigated as the highest priority and I urge you to call out any further discrepancies.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
MB558
Tuning in
Message 90 of 171
Flag for a moderator

My son is a serial victim of this and I made some comments earlier in the thread. Unfortunately, we didn't get refunded as the initial "gesture of good will" from Virgin didn't stretch to the second big bill we received. Anyway, I was all set to leave Vodafone for my own contract and move over to Virgin as the prices are attractive. However, I just cannot take that risk of not only being charged huge amounts (though no fault of my own) but, I can't be bothered with the constant battles with more Virgin advisors on the phone. Oh and why should i have to turn off my mobile data every time I walk into my own house?!! What a ridiculous scenario that is.

Anyway, Vodafone have come up with a decent offer and I've stuck with them. It's the lesser of two evils. Respect goes out to Rich from Virgin and a couple of his colleagues in entering this arena. However, you just get the impression that their bosses are holding a knife to their throat as they are typing because they realise this is a big issue that is not being addressed.

Good luck everyone, stay strong and keep fighting. 

0 Kudos