cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cancelling contract following move to Vodafone

mfurseman
Joining in

I'm curious about others thoughts on this. For the last few months when travelling away from home I found my phone signal to be poorer than expected, and blamed this on my ageing phone. On a trip last week with no signal it occurred to me VM were transitioning to Vodafone and after a quick Google realise my phone must have been transferred from EE (presumably along with everyone else on VM by now).

I thought I'd cancel my contract and sign up with another MVNO using EE, but when getting my transfer code found I still have six months left to run and would be liable for an early repayment charge. I checked the legal terms and they stated that if Virgin changed their service then one can cancel without having to pay the charge and called customer services. The rep I spoke to was pretty rude, didn't really listen to what I was asking and eventually hung up on me without answering all the questions I had. He basically said that I would have been transferred to Vodafone by December 2021 and as I hadn't contacted them since then there's no way I can use the change of service to cancel and avoid the repayment charge.

I still consider that, given I intentionally signed up with an MVNO on EE and now have worse service due a change of MVNO, it would be reasonable to cease the contract without penalty to move to another physical network provider. Am I being unreasonable? 

2 REPLIES 2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mfurseman At some point between now and September approx your VM mobile will switch again to O2.  Depending on your location this may or may not be better than Vodafone.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi mfurseman

Thanks for posting - I am sorry to hear of this dispute and shall PM you now to assist further.

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill