Did you mean: 

Cancelling O2 cooling off period

auroraharbour
Joining in

I recently (02/01/2022) placed an order with VM for the following bundle:

• Gig1 Broadband
  • Streamy Box
  • Landline
  • O2 Unlimited Data/Text/Calls (Volt bundle)

I've been given a "provisional date" (which I'm aware is not a term recognised by Ofcom, but instead is a term used by VM to blur the lines as to when they take responsibility for providing the service agreed upon in the contract) for installation of the broadband of the 19th of January, and I have tried (unsuccessfully) to ascertain the date on which the outside works team are scheduled to carry out the necessary outside work required in order to provide this service. 

I have until the 11th of January until my cooling off period with my current provider expires, so if I am to cancel my current contract with said provider and stick with the new VM package, I need the work to be completed as soon as possible, as my partner and I both work from home. I was assured by the agent I spoke to when placing my order that the "provisional date" would be very likely to be brought forward as once the outside works have taken place, the installation is relatively trivial.

The problem I now have, and my reason for posting this question on the mobile board, is that my O2 contract has apparently already started (and presumably, the cooling off period for said contract has also already started?), meaning that if the outside works are to be delayed for any meaningful length of time, I couldn't cancel the entire package (Broadband/Landline/Streamy Box, and O2 Sim) without incurring extra charges, if the cooling-off period on the Sim contract has expired.

I haven't received an official contract from O2 or from VM on behalf of O2, so I can't check what the terms actually are, but I'm worried that I'll be faffed around by VM until the O2 cooling off period is over, by which time I'll be locked into a Sim deal that I wouldn't have taken were it not for the bundle as a whole.

Apologies for the excessive detail - if there's any chance I've missed out some important detail(s), please feel free to ask, I just need some peace of mind and clarity as to how this situation could play out. The whereabouts of the O2 Sim contract terms would be nice also!

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey auroraharbour, thank you for reaching out and for your question today.

Normally we aim to get you install as quick as we can sometimes this can right away or a few weeks depending on what works needs doing first.

Sometimes these jobs can often get delayed due to gaining permits and planning permission.

Your cooling off period would start once you are installed and up and running not from the day of the order.

With the O2 stuff unfortunately we do have access to there systems and you would need to give them a call on 0344 809 0202 and they would be happy to give you this information.

Normally they should all start together.

Please do let me know how you get on. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?