Menu
Highlighted
puffin
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can I transfer my SIM to an iPhone ?

I have a Windows phone (Microsoft Lumia 640LTE) which I bought from Virgin with a pay-monthly SIM.  The phone is long-since paid for.  I found the benefits of having Windows on the device were much less than promised and rather regret it. 

Having saved up the old-fashioned way, I have ordered a SIM-free iPhone 6S, paid for outright from a well-known store which is never knowingly undersold.

As a senior citizen the whole mobile phone thing is a bit of a mystery to me, and I've got lost  several times on this website trying to find the answer to one simple question: will the SIM in the old 'phone just work in the new one ?

If the answer is no, then can someone please explain in simple jargon-free terms how I go about getting a new sim which works with my old number on my existing pay-monthly account ?

Many thanks

Puffin

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can I transfer my SIM to an iPhone ?

As long as the I phone is unlocked and the sim tray is the same size, yes you just pop it in your new phone.

If you need a new one, you can order it online on chat, by text message or good old fashioned phoning in.

<edit>

The old phone is Micro SIM the new one is Nano according to teh interwebs. If you have a recent SIM from VM, the Nano size just pushes out of the centre of the Micro one you have.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

puffin
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

As I said the new phone is sold as SIM free , so it is usable with any network.

I have no idea about the sizes of the SIM trays that is why I gave the exact types of phones in the hope that the person who answered would know.

I have tried texting the number shown at the top of this page and all I get is a message saying they are busy.  My experience of phoning Virgin  is not good and I'd rather avoid it.

Puffin

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Puffin, 

We'll need to send you a smaller SIM card to use with the iPhone. 

I'll pop you a personal message now and get the ball rolling. 

Thanks 🙂 

Emma_C - Forum Team
0 Kudos
puffin
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Emma.   I don't seem to have any personal message yet, but could you please double check before you send it ?  

The thing is I have eventually got a reply from 07533016422, the Text Messaging help service - and they said the complete opposite.  They said my current SIM will just fit in the iPhone and I'm away.   Something's not quite right, is it ?

Puffin

0 Kudos
Jim166
Dialled in
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

I have a Windows phone and still like it, the model I have is the 735 and that definitely has the micro sim in it ( the smallest one ) If I were you rather than waiting I would just take the sim out of your old phone and see if it will fit, chances are it will. Good luck.

0 Kudos
Jim166
Dialled in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

#meant to say nano, its either the time of night, old age or a combination of the two.

puffin
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Jim I would have just have tried the old SIM in the new 'phone, but that hasn't been delivered yet .Yes I have bought it but no I don't have it.  I was hoping to get the SIM issue sorted out before it came.  Looks like that is not going to happen.

Puffin

0 Kudos
puffin
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Emma has kindly sorted it, confirmed the SIMS in the two phones are different sizes and a new SIM is on its way.  So she gets kudos points.

Smiley Happy

0 Kudos