Menu
stelevite
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Bogus Credit Score System

So, on Thursday I applied to take advantage of Virgin Mobile’s iPhone X deal.

Picked my phone, processed the order. Everything seemed to go fine. Got the confirmation email...then noticed in small print this note that “Unfortunately” they needed “more information” to process my order.

The number given to call put me in contact with Virgin Media who kept talking about my TV, Broadband and Phone package.

Logged in to my account, went to My Orders and saw that they order had been “Parked”. There was a different number there so called that up where I was told that I didn’t pass the credit check.

To me this immediately sent up red flags because I knew for a fact that I have good credit. Either way, I went to get my Equifax report where, sure enough, I have good credit...above average credit I might add. Not only that, but Virgin only used the credit check to confirm my identity... so what gives?

I found info about Customer Underwriting Services so sent them an email.

But today the plot thickened.

I get a call from Virgin Mobile about my order. They tell me that I actually PASSED the credit check but that I was only a “c3” and the iPhone X is a “c4” handset.

The lady was polite and said they wanted to help me increase my credit ranking. To do that, they were offering me a sim only deal on a rolling 30 day contract. I would have to take this out for 3-6 months in order to raise my credit ranking.

When I asked why this would raise my credit ranking, I didn’t get a straight answer. I asked if there’s anything I can do other than take out this sim only deal and I was told no.

So in other words, this is some arbitrary internal ranking system and I have to prove I’m reliable by taking out another plan with Virgin Mobile for 3-6 months. I said this didn’t seem worth it when in that space of time I could find another deal or save up and buy the phone.

The fact that I’ve been a Virgin Media customer for almost 4 years and have never missed a payment, or the fact that I’ve been with Vodafone for 8 years and never missed a payment seems to mean nothing. I find it deeply disturbing that Virgin are using some internal system with a complete disregard for someone’s actual credit history to determine who gets these devices or not.

On what basis is it determined that I have a c3 credit ranking if they didn’t even check my actual record other than to confirm my identity? The lady even said that the vast majority of their customers are c1 and c2! But it just so happens that the iPhone X is a c4 device...but I could get the iPhone 8 apparently.

Would love to know what Virgin plans to do about this unscrupulous system they have in place and how else I can go about overturning their decision.

I am wondering if it’s even worth it though as it seems like Virgin don’t allow tethering...
neilied
Tuning in
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Bogus Credit Score System

Wow, it’s like I wrote that myself. Tried to offer me an iPhone 8 as that was C3. Told them I wanted X was told appeal takes 24 hours. Today the same response and offer of iPhone 8. Mentioned that my bank account provided differed to my Virgin media DD was told that this may be the issue. Changed the bank to match but was still told I was a C3. Told them to cancel my order request and I shall go elsewhere. 

Ridiculous rating system as I have just completed 12 years with O2 with the last 2 years with an iPhone 6 and iPad mini 4 on contract totalling £80/month. I have plenty of credit history and live access to equifax, so VM what gives???

want to complain but why should I fight to join as a customer, shouldn’t VM be fighting for my business??

Neil

TweetiePie
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Very similar experience here - it's a marketing scam Smiley Mad

Cookie180
Joining in
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Me too guys. Me too. Based on my credit rating I was able to get a mortgage for a house, never missed a payment, but not an iPhone X.
On the first call the operative told me I didn’t pay my bills!!! Whaaaaat!
I think Virgin you need to review your criteria rather than turn people away on spurious grounds. If this is a marketing tool to sell sims and other models I don’t think people are really buying in to the concept. The internet market place allows us too much choice for you to do that.
I give to you Virgin a week, for me to hold off purchasing else where. Not spending my money with you - for the next 3 years on your phone contract- and looking to review & cancel my media package with you at the earliest opportunity- after that:
I buy elsewhere, ee direct (they link with virgin on the sim) has some cool Christmas deals on iPhone X and beats headphones. And spread the word about unobtainable deals with Virgin and lack of customer satisfaction, via every media tool, app, blog etc.
Cookie180
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Let’s add this in to the chain too https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/29/virgin-media-rapped-three-year-...

Telegraph heading : Ofcom raps Virgin Media over three-year iPhone contracts
stelevite
Joining in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

In the end, I decided to go with Unshackled.com where I could get the phone sim free on a payment plan (which my credit rating was FINE for btw) and changed my current sim to a sim only.

So, sorry Virgin; you lost a potential customer.
neilied
Tuning in
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I still question how virgin can make the decision based on information given by equifax using the soft ‘for identity only’ search thus not gettin* my credit file details??

Mattreyd
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Omg same here. I thought it a scam at the time. Exactly the same. I can get a car, a big mortgage, but no poxy phone from Virgin. Tried to sell me the SIM card. I managed to swerve their tactic as I actually already had taken a sim only contract for circa 8 months prior and paid timely hence I told them I must already pass their exact requirements. Exactly!  Still even with this knowledge it took them a day or so to work out whether I pass their test.  Called me back after a day or two later and said I had passed. Cheeky gits. 

I just dont don’t know what to think about this company. 

I heard they stop tethering - does that mean I can’t tether an iPad to the phone on the Virgin network ? Anyone help ?

GWakeling
Settling in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Just had the same problem today, shot through to the shop to purchase and told my credit rating is poor. Can't be that bad as they take over £70 a month for tv package
Wideawake79
Tuning in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Im having the same issue was told i could get my chosen hanset after 3 months now month 7 and still cant get the note 8. Never a l8 payment. Its a joke