cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Another Volt & Sim Thread

Pete_Notts
Up to speed

Hi

I apologise for creating a new post, when there is a very similar one just below by HB17. However, I did not want to muddy that person's thread with my own queries, and thought it best to create my own.

So. Yesterday I spoke to retentions and made the switch from Oomph to the 1 gig Ultra Volt bundle. Obviously it was explained to me, that O2 would be handling the mobile side of things, and I will be receiving a new sim from them later today, and my new router on Thursday.

It was only late last night, when I logged into my newly created O2 portal, that I saw a new phone number has been assigned for my account. This for me is a problem, as I do not want to ever again have to change my phone number. Earlier this year, I was forced by circumstance to do just this (when somebody really could not take "NO" for an answer.)

It literally took weeks periodically trying, sometimes easily - but not always - to update my new number on the whole array of things we tend to have - utilities, shopping, banking, amazon, paypal and on and on. It's quite staggering how many places have your phone number when it comes to having to update it, and not all are easily done either.

Anyways I have finally updated everything - at least I 'think' I have. Not an exercise I wish to repeat ever again.

My first question may make you laugh, or wince at my lack of knowledge. However : When the new sim arrives today - if I were to install it in my phone ( Samsung S8+ ), would it automatically change my number to the new one which has been assigned, and appears on my O2 portal ?

That is not an option for me as stated above. I have acquired my PAC code from the VM mobile portal btw.

Could I just keep the O2 sim and NOT install it at all, and retain my existing number ?

And finally if I do install it, and it does change my number - how difficult..or even is it possible - to swap back and retain my existing number ?

I would very reluctantly cancel this upgrade, purely to not lose my existing phone number. Not again - once this year was enough. In fact once ever was enough.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pete

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The mobile number is (for our purposes here) held on the SIM card.  The new O2 sim will have the new assigned O2 number, if you put that in your phone then it will respond only to that number.  It should be a straightforward thing to provide O2 with the PAC code for your old number, and then with in a few days O2 will update the SIM and transfer your old number to it, meaning that everything should be working as you want it.  Obviously until that happens you will be in limbo, but that's inevitable. 

I would suggest you stick the O2 sim in the S8 (or any available handset) to ensure it is made active on the O2 system - if you don't this may cause problems.  If you've only got the one handset, once the O2 sim is connected, take it out and reinsert the VM sim.  Then keep the VM mobile sim in use, and head over to the O2 website and find the form that allows inbound number transfers with a PAC code.  Complete that (or ring O2 customer services who may be more helpful than a web form) and the transfer process should start, but the process may not work if O2 haven't completed setting up your account.  When the VM sim stops working, then you should take it out, reinsert the the O2 sim, and within a few minutes or hours it should update with the new number.

Any problems need to be dealt with by O2 customer services and or the O2 forum - this is very early days for the VMO2 merger and the companies are for all practical purposes separate businesses still, and the VM forum staff would like to help but have no access to the O2 systems, and little or no contact with O2 staff to handover support issues.  That will change, but probably not in the next few months. 

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

The mobile number is (for our purposes here) held on the SIM card.  The new O2 sim will have the new assigned O2 number, if you put that in your phone then it will respond only to that number.  It should be a straightforward thing to provide O2 with the PAC code for your old number, and then with in a few days O2 will update the SIM and transfer your old number to it, meaning that everything should be working as you want it.  Obviously until that happens you will be in limbo, but that's inevitable. 

I would suggest you stick the O2 sim in the S8 (or any available handset) to ensure it is made active on the O2 system - if you don't this may cause problems.  If you've only got the one handset, once the O2 sim is connected, take it out and reinsert the VM sim.  Then keep the VM mobile sim in use, and head over to the O2 website and find the form that allows inbound number transfers with a PAC code.  Complete that (or ring O2 customer services who may be more helpful than a web form) and the transfer process should start, but the process may not work if O2 haven't completed setting up your account.  When the VM sim stops working, then you should take it out, reinsert the the O2 sim, and within a few minutes or hours it should update with the new number.

Any problems need to be dealt with by O2 customer services and or the O2 forum - this is very early days for the VMO2 merger and the companies are for all practical purposes separate businesses still, and the VM forum staff would like to help but have no access to the O2 systems, and little or no contact with O2 staff to handover support issues.  That will change, but probably not in the next few months. 

Hi Andrew

Let me start with a GIGANTIC Thank You first. I had not imagined such a comprehensive breakdown, and thorough explanation as you have taken the time to provide here to my post and questions.

I have certainly obtained a much better understanding as a result regarding the very things I was looking to find out about. Moreover, I will be following the steps you have advised regards the sim, what to do and contacting O2 - whether with the form link you provided - or as you suggested in preference to this, by contacting them.

You have certainly left me a lot LOT less baffled than I was, and with ways to follow up to ensure that the switch & means of retaining my number can both happen, and be relatively painless..even if a few days limbo as you mention. A few days limbo I can live with happily 🙂

I have a memory like a siev, and so will be returning to your detailed reply..probably several times as this switchover happens.

Again I thank you sincerely for taking the time and effort to go through it one step at a time, in a way which made sense, and this ageing increasingly technophobe old git could comprehend. :-))

I will not forget to update with the conclusion once I have it..though whether with the timing now is before Christmas..? Depends how easy it is with O2 and the necessary follow ups. Regardless I owe a reply to let you know how it went.

Have a Great Christmas..as best at least as these times permit, stay safe & Fingers Crossed for a New Year that starts to show a break in the clouds for us all.

Kindest Regards & Appreciation

Pete

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Pete_Notts

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

If you provide O2 with the PAC code supplied by us, the number would then change to your existing number on your O2 sim.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

And Thank You Travis 🙂

My same seasonal Greetings apply fully, and I am very grateful for the help and advice. I know I probably sounded like a 'drunk womble' with my initial concerns lol..well half of that description is probably true 😉

As mentioned above..thanks to you both, I now feel a lot less confused, and will definitely tie it off with letting you know as soon as it's done. Plus your answers on this matter I suspect may well prove useful to others as they switchover to O2 on a package, and like me were uncertain as to how these things work in this regard.

Best Wishes

Pete

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

You're very welcome, please keep us updated how you get on!

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Thanks to you both, I was able follow up with O2 and my PAC code to hand. Went through fine, and have kept number :-))

Again my sincere appreciation for the advice here.

Have A Great Christmas in these odd times, and Much Better New Year to come.

Pete

Zak_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

That's fantastic news Pete, 

If we are able to assist you further then please do let us know. 

Enjoy your Christmas & we hope you have a prosperous new year. 

Kind regards,

Zak_M 

A great guide - thanks! The only thing that would improve it would be O2's customer service number 😆 I looked all over their website and couldn't find anything. I wonder if they have anything like Virgin's 150?

Anyway, I've used the web form, hopefully all will be OK ... 🤞

We're glad this has been able to help. I have taken a look online and it is showing O2 Customer service contact number as: 0344 809 0202.

I hope this helps. 

^Martin