Menu
dickturpin123
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Again Overcharged for 'Excess' Data Usage

I posted a few days ago to the forum hoping to get a response from a member of the complaints team as to why i'd been hit with a penalty charge in May for supposedly exceeding my data allowance. Unfortunately I'm faced with the same problem again in my most recent bill for the period covering 10th June-9th July, only this time round Virgin claim that I owe an extra £30 in charges for data overusage.

Once again I'm struggling to see any just cause or rationale for these added charges and how the data usage records available for me to check against online would even accord with the times Virgin claim I owe extra charges.

Apologies if the following explanation gets too dense but obviously I want to include as many details as I can to support my case:

Virgin sent a notification to my phone via text on July 5th at 6:01 pm (which I can prove) saying that i'd used up 95% of my 'inclusive mobile web' for that month. The Virgin mobile account app you can download to your phone that allows you to monitor your data usage also agreed more or less with this figure. Clearly at this point then the information available to me at my end pointed to the fact that I was still within my data allowance. However, according to the online records for 'extra use', the first time of incurring a penalty charge of £3 was on 30 June at 22:50. I was then hit with another £3 charge shortly thereafter on 01 July at 00:00 for the same offense. These extra £3 charges for supposed 'data overusage' continued at various times of day a further 4 times up to the quoted time of July 5th, 6:01pm where I was led to believe I'd used up only 95% of my monthly data allowance. As you can appreciate, there is a clear contradiction here. Unless i'm mistaken, it's also my understanding that Virgin charges at a rate of £3 per day for up to 1GB of data for any data overusage. This charge is designated to apply at midnight of that day and covers any instance within that 24 hour time block where up to 1GB of cumulative data is overused. Why then does it appear on my bill that I'm issued the £3 charge at seemingly random times of day as well as at midnight meaning in effect that I am being charged £3 repeatedly on the same day? All this assumes of course that those charges are even valid in the first place, which they are not.
Even if I were to ignore this logic and accept, despite evidence to the contrary, that by 30 June at 22:50 I had passed my monthly data allowance limit, why is it that all subsequent uses of my inclusive mobile web do not show up as 'exceeded' under the 'In tariff' heading? As an example:

Date Type Number In tariff Used Cost
30 Jun 22:50 Using the internet - Exceeded 25KB £3.00
30 Jun 23:50 Using the internet - Yes 25KB £0.00
01 Jul 00:00 Using the internet - Exceeded 2KB £3.00
01 Jul 00:52 Using the internet - Yes 2.31MB £0.00
01 Jul 02:15 Using the internet - Yes 1.14MB £0.00
01 Jul 03:14 Using the internet - Yes 191KB £0.00
01 Jul 04:14 Using the internet - Yes 204KB £0.00
01 Jul 05:14 Using the internet - Yes 53KB £0.00

Either I have gone beyond my data allowance or I haven't. There is no halfway house. The same pattern continues right up the last entry on my online data usage records covering the billing period 10th June to 9th July for which Virgin claim I owe a total of £30 for excess data use. I made regular checks using the Virgin mobile app on my phone to confirm that at all times I remained within my monthly data allowance, and from memory I had about 15mb of unused leftover data just before my data allowance was refreshed for next month. If Virgin argue that the information displayed on this app isn't necessarily 100% accurate then I would ask to what degree is it inaccurate? 1mb, 10mb or 100mb? Are the data usage records available online for customers to read also inaccurate? Was the text you sent on July 5th at 6:01 pm telling me I'd used only 95% of my monthly inclusive web up to that point not truthful? If there were any technical errors in the measurement of my data usage how can I reasonably be held responsible given that I have no alternative source of information with which to question them? Obviously I can only act on the data usage information provided to me by Virgin as a paying customer. Whether this information turns out to be accurate or not is your problem not mine.

Finally I'd just like to add that the £30 charge that Virgin claim I owe for 'excess' data usage relates to a total of 115 kb of data. To put this in context an average 3 minute MP3 audio file takes up 3mb of data (roughly 26 times as much data). 115 kb therefore represents about 7 seconds of an MP3 audio file. Any reasonable person would say that a charge of £30 for such a minuscule amount of data is nothing but a complete rip-off and blatant profiteering from Virgin.

Please sort this out.

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Again Overcharged for 'Excess' Data Usage

@dickturpin123 wrote:

I posted a few days ago to the forum hoping to get a response from a member of the complaints team as to why i'd been hit with a penalty charge in May for supposedly exceeding my data allowance.

It takes around a week for a staff response ATM.

0 Kudos
dickturpin123
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ohh ok i'm new to the forum so thanks for that. Guess i'll just have to be patient

0 Kudos
dickturpin123
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Is there any chance of somebody from Virgin actually reading and replying to this post now? It's been quite a while...

Should I re-post?

0 Kudos
dickturpin123
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Again Overcharged for 'Excess' Data Usage

Re-post because I posted 2 weeks ago and haven't yet got a reply (£40 has since been debited from my bank account):

I posted a few days ago to the forum hoping to get a response from a member of the complaints team as to why i'd been hit with a penalty charge in May for supposedly exceeding my data allowance. Unfortunately I'm faced with the same problem again in my most recent bill for the period covering 10th June-9th July, only this time round Virgin claim that I owe an extra £30 in charges for data overusage.

Once again I'm struggling to see any just cause or rationale for these added charges and how the data usage records available for me to check against online would even accord with the times Virgin claim I owe extra charges.

Apologies if the following explanation gets too dense but obviously I want to include as many details as I can to support my case:

Virgin sent a notification to my phone via text on July 5th at 6:01 pm (which I can prove) saying that i'd used up 95% of my 'inclusive mobile web' for that month. The Virgin mobile account app you can download to your phone that allows you to monitor your data usage also agreed more or less with this figure. Clearly at this point then the information available to me at my end pointed to the fact that I was still within my data allowance. However, according to the online records for 'extra use', the first time of incurring a penalty charge of £3 was on 30 June at 22:50. I was then hit with another £3 charge shortly thereafter on 01 July at 00:00 for the same offense. These extra £3 charges for supposed 'data overusage' continued at various times of day a further 4 times up to the quoted time of July 5th, 6:01pm where I was led to believe I'd used up only 95% of my monthly data allowance. As you can appreciate, there is a clear contradiction here. Unless i'm mistaken, it's also my understanding that Virgin charges at a rate of £3 per day for up to 1GB of data for any data overusage. This charge is designated to apply at midnight of that day and covers any instance within that 24 hour time block where up to 1GB of cumulative data is overused. Why then does it appear on my bill that I'm issued the £3 charge at seemingly random times of day as well as at midnight meaning in effect that I am being charged £3 repeatedly on the same day? All this assumes of course that those charges are even valid in the first place, which they are not.
Even if I were to ignore this logic and accept, despite evidence to the contrary, that by 30 June at 22:50 I had passed my monthly data allowance limit, why is it that all subsequent uses of my inclusive mobile web do not show up as 'exceeded' under the 'In tariff' heading? As an example:

Date Type Number In tariff Used Cost
30 Jun 22:50 Using the internet - Exceeded 25KB £3.00
30 Jun 23:50 Using the internet - Yes 25KB £0.00
01 Jul 00:00 Using the internet - Exceeded 2KB £3.00
01 Jul 00:52 Using the internet - Yes 2.31MB £0.00
01 Jul 02:15 Using the internet - Yes 1.14MB £0.00
01 Jul 03:14 Using the internet - Yes 191KB £0.00
01 Jul 04:14 Using the internet - Yes 204KB £0.00
01 Jul 05:14 Using the internet - Yes 53KB £0.00

Either I have gone beyond my data allowance or I haven't. There is no halfway house. The same pattern continues right up the last entry on my online data usage records covering the billing period 10th June to 9th July for which Virgin claim I owe a total of £30 for excess data use. I made regular checks using the Virgin mobile app on my phone to confirm that at all times I remained within my monthly data allowance, and from memory I had about 15mb of unused leftover data just before my data allowance was refreshed for next month. If Virgin argue that the information displayed on this app isn't necessarily 100% accurate then I would ask to what degree is it inaccurate? 1mb, 10mb or 100mb? Are the data usage records available online for customers to read also inaccurate? Was the text you sent on July 5th at 6:01 pm telling me I'd used only 95% of my monthly inclusive web up to that point not truthful? If there were any technical errors in the measurement of my data usage how can I reasonably be held responsible given that I have no alternative source of information with which to question them? Obviously I can only act on the data usage information provided to me by Virgin as a paying customer. Whether this information turns out to be accurate or not is your problem not mine.

Finally I'd just like to add that the £30 charge that Virgin claim I owe for 'excess' data usage relates to a total of 115 kb of data. To put this in context an average 3 minute MP3 audio file takes up 3mb of data (roughly 26 times as much data). 115 kb therefore represents about 7 seconds of an MP3 audio file. Any reasonable person would say that a charge of £30 for such a minuscule amount of data is nothing but a complete rip-off and blatant profiteering from Virgin.

Please sort this out.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
jnm21
Tuning in
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Did you ever get this sorted? As a new customer thinking of bringing more family connections across, this is very off-putting!
0 Kudos
jnm21
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Just to add, don't give in & pay the money - see https://store.virginmedia.com/content/dam/eSales/Downloads/Consumer%20Complaint%20Code%20of%20Practi... - take it all the way.
0 Kudos