cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accessing my parents account

bernard73
On our wavelength

I'm after some advice please. 

My father has dementia and can no longer look after his finances and I'm helping my mother control her ougoings. On her last bank statement she was charged £63.16 and I don't know what this is for as we can't access my father's email account (I'm assuming he was receiving monthly statements from Virgin). I want to swap my mother to the cheapest tariff (no data required,  she doesn't know how to use apps etc) and also to get paper bills (assuming she stays with Virgin and is not under contract).

What is the best way to do the above?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bernard73 wrote:

As you won't tell me why you are taking £63/month from her account I have no alternative but to tell her to stop the Direct Debit. Any legal letters will have to be sent by post as I repeat that she can't access my fathers email account.

Regardless of the rights & wrongs of the particulars here, be very careful doing this. Only if you're prepared for the account holder's credit file to be impacted by missed payment markers, should this course of action be taken.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

36 REPLIES 36

Reece_MH
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bernard73,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'm really sorry to hear you're having some issues with your parent's accounts. Can you advise if this is regarding a Cable or Mobile account? Can I also confirm if it is your father who is the Account Holder? If so, do you have any Lasting Power of Attorney in place? This is just we can understand if we're able to assist you better with your query.

We are able to change the account to Paper Billing, however, please be aware that this will incur an additional £1.75 charge per month. Pop back when you can so we're able to assist you as soon as possible. We're able to send you a private message for more information, if needed 🙂

Thanks,

Reece - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our FAQ

I am going to try to call your customer services as I've just spent 10 minutes writing a detailed reply,  when I pressed send it said there were technical issues. 

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @bernard73,

Thank you for your response. That's no problem at all, you can reach us on 150/ 03454541111 to speak to us more about your situation. 

Please let us know if you need any further support from us, we're here to help.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Pauline

I contacted your customer services and it was a waste of time. Your agent told me that I need to get a lawyer to get power of attorney, I told him to call my mother on her virgin mobile number and she would tell them that I can act for her. He refused and again said that the only way to deal with this is to get power of attorney.

As you won't tell me why you are taking £63/month from her account I have no alternative but to tell her to stop the Direct Debit. Any legal letters will have to be sent by post as I repeat that she can't access my fathers email account.

I also have an issue with Virgin Media taking £37/month for her broadband which she doesn't use (and also has no need for a landline), again your customer services were unable to help as I don't have the password (they are posting out a reminder to my mother).

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@bernard73 wrote:

Regardless of the rights & wrongs of the particulars here, be very careful doing this. Only if you're prepared for the account holder's credit file to be impacted by missed payment markers, should this course of action be taken.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

bernard73
On our wavelength

I realise that but my father has very little time left and my mother is 80, a poor credit score is the least of their problems. 

Good morning @bernard73

Can you confirm - does someone have a Lasting Power of Attorney for the people we are speaking about?

Best,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

i have just flagged this to staff again - it seems they are posting the correct stock replies but reading the thread it needs some other approach hopefully someone can jump in and sort it without more requests for POA or whatever

Tony.
Sacked VIP

We would need a POA to help Tony. 

Best

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill