Menu
Highlighted
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 1 of 33
Flag for a moderator

4G eating data while on wifi???

I've got 4 mobile contracts. Over the last 3 or 4 months I've upgraded 3 of them to 4G. When checking my online account for them I've noticed spurious amounts of data use. All phones are on wifi (virgin). The 3 phones on 4G have mobile data use registered on the account. My phone was refreshed on the 1st & since then I haven't used data, it's been at home on wifi all that time. My account shows data use every hour, on the hour 24 hours a day since then. The amount is only small, ranging from 1KB to 120Kb but it also shows as not included in my plan although there's no charge shown for it on the account, so far it totals 760kb. I turned the phone off overnight last night & when I checked the account it hadn't shown any use overnight (as you'd expect) & as soon as I turned it on this morning it started registering data use again even though it's still on wifi. 

This has only started since upgrading to 4g, I've upgrade the phones 1 at a time & since noticing this I'm holding off doing the last one. 

I've seen a few threads about people that have had unexpected charges, is this the same problem?  So far there's been no charge but 2 of the phones with 1gb data don't use much mobile data usually but 1 phone with 4gb does get close every month  & im wondering if there's a problem building for the future. Apart from the unknown charges I'm puzzled as to why all these amounts show as not in my plan on all 3 phones. 

Any response from anyone at virgin would be appreciated before I get onto customer service. It seems others with a similar problem have had no luck with customer service. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Re: 4G eating data while on wifi???

interested in what if anything you learn - can only say i see exactly what you see on 2 android phones - one of them has data turned off but most hours on the hour i see a small data usage 

Tony
0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 3 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I've finally managed to get through to UK customer service. 

It seems that this is a normal thing with 4g. It keeps connecting to the internet to "self test" every hour or so even when on wifi. The guy I spoke to was very helpful but he couldn't explain why the bill shows these connections as "No" in the "in plan" column of the bill. As he said , the important bit is that it doesn't show any charge which is fair enough. My main concern is that these charges will mount up over the month & could push the usage over my allowance. It seems the only way to reduce this is to turn the phone off when not in use. We already do this with one of the phones & it doesn't show these "charges". 

Its a shame Virgin have never explained this on any of the many threads on the forum complaining about spurious data usage (& there's been a lot). It would save a lot of problems & probably stop a few people leaving Virgin when they don't get a satisfactory response to a very important question. 

Come on Virgin, someone reply. It would be nice to get a response on here from someone at Virgin. Maybe they could explain it better than I have, maybe even make a sticky to possibly save future problems. 

caravanj
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 33
Flag for a moderator

My VM phone is a 2.5G phone so I hardly ever use any data but when I do it always shows up as 'Not in plan'.

My calls to 789 show up as 'Not in plan' as well & get taken off my monthly minutes so in effect I'm paying for what should be free calls.

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 5 of 33
Flag for a moderator

I noticed this on my recent usage when I logged into my mobile account this morning.  I don't very often log in but was checking an old sim that has just gone offline 15 months after last payment and wanted to see if it had disappeared from my account too (it had).

On my current phone I've got 3GB of data every month because I get 1GB and 1GB free plus 1GB rollover every month because I hardly use any data as I use wifi at home and the phone is off when I'm out because I don't get it out of my bag generally.

It obviously checks in about every hour even though wifi is on and connected - but I was pretty surprised to see that the table says No on the In Plan column, even though there is no charge.   This is pretty stupid to me, of course it's In Plan.  It's data - and I have 3GB which isn't being used.  

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 33
Flag for a moderator

It's the same with my tariff but I'm not sure why this is the case. It could have something to do with the new purple SIM's, or perhaps the way data is calculated on the data free apps we offer. Either way I'm just taking a guess.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
whyowhyowhy
Superfast
Message 7 of 33
Flag for a moderator

@Rich_Bwrote:

It's the same with my tariff but I'm not sure why this is the case. It could have something to do with the new purple SIM's, or perhaps the way data is calculated on the data free apps we offer. Either way I'm just taking a guess.

Thanks

I don't have a purple sim - I have the original one that came with the phone last year.   I'm absolutely amazed that a VM staffer thinks they can "solve" a thread by "taking a guess", I'm not even sure what you're taking a guess at - hourly data usage?  - showing as not in plan?  

Les01889
Up to speed
Message 8 of 33
Flag for a moderator

What I can't understand is HOW THE PHONE CAN STILL SHOW THESE CHARGES EVEN WHEN MOBILE DATA IS TIRNED OFF? 

Any answers Virgin?

Roger_Gooner
Super solver
Message 9 of 33
Flag for a moderator

Adaptive WiFi will cause your phone to switch to mobile data automatically if the WiFi signal becomes poor. I've disabled this on my Samsung Galaxy as I like to know when I'm using mobile data.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
0 Kudos
Les01889
Up to speed
Message 10 of 33
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Never used to happen on any of the 4 phones I have on Virgin until I changed to 4g. Still doesn't happen on the 1 I've got on Vodafone 

0 Kudos