Menu
Highlighted
JDSimp13
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

£3 daily charges for data when i still have my data allowance?

Have recently changed contract to a 4G mobile contract with VM.

I noticed today when I logged into check my account, I have over 20 pounds of charges for internet access. These seem to be a 3 pounds per day charge. However, my data allowance is still showing as in credit. When I rang to speak to VM, I was told they cannot discuss recent charges until a bill is generated - what the..., I just want to know why I am being charged 3 pounds a day for internet access, when my data allowance is still in credit. I assume this is a mistake on the billing - has anyone else suffered this and is there a genuine reason I am being charged? Should I cancel my Direct Debit so they can't take money until they have discussed with me?

Any support would be appreciated...

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: £3 daily charges for data when i still have my data allowance?

Hi JDSimp13,

you are certainly not alone with this problem as there have been a number of similar posts but as yet no comment from the VM Team.

I would advise not canceling your Direct Debit as this could just lead to further problems. From experience if you are incorrectly charged you will be recompensed once the problem is sorted but keep an eye on it and if necessary give customer services another call.

AlexKid :-)

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Answered your question? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer' also.

Superuser1718.png
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi JDSimp13,

I'm sorry to hear that have been charged for exceeding your data allowance. In order to investigate this further, please check that all background data is switched off on the handset.

Also make sure that your handset settings--all apps and OS--are set to update/connect only via WiFi.

If the handset is an iPhone make sure that WiFi Assist and iCloud have the background data turned off.

When connecting via WiFi, make sure that the mobile data is turned off.

Once this has been done, there should be no data usage or charges for exceeding the data allowance.

If you continue to see data usage after all these checks on the handset or incorrect charges applied when there is available data please let us know so that we can investigate this for you.

Also see the following thread: Mobile data issues and overcharging

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Terri_P

hmmmm - i will add my two penneth again

2 android phones 

phone 1 - data turn ON - phone uses data every night usually on the hour each hour - its within a few feet of my wifi hub

phone 2 - data turned OFFphone uses data every night usually on the hour each hour [not as often as phone 1] - its within a few feet of my wifi hub

which sort of makes your advice iffy at best

add to that when investigating - vodaphone - 3 and O2 they do not use data - or if they do it does not show on the bill

this [imo] is a VM problem - i understand its under investigation - thats from @James_W

Tony
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi -tony-,

Thanks for your post.

Again, personally, I have 3 Android mobiles running on a Virgin Mobile 4G connection--two Samsungs bought from Virgin and a third party OnePlus3 and again, after making all the changes, not one of us show data usage when the mobile handset for data is switched off, so I can't see how the information provided in my post is "iffy". 

The hourly usage you are seeing is not actually data being used on the hour, but this is how the logs display it. If the data usage is minimal, the logs will timestamp it on the hour. So if you see the hourly usage, there is still something on the handset that is overriding your handset setting if mobile data has been set to OFF.

Why does this happen only on Virgin Mobile?....Does it? I've seen these questions asked on other mobile provider forums.

You are right, this is an issue that we are investigating--Rich and I are looking into this and sending all details over to our mobile support and tech teams to investigate. Currently, we've been advised that this is a handset issue.

You haven't confirmed in your post if you have gone through all of your apps and OS settings to only connect/update via Wi-Fi.

Does the data usage showing on the hour every night when mobile data is switched off ever cause you to exceed your usage?

Have you tried this with your GPS switched off as well?

Are you using a purple SIM card or a red one? If you are using a red one, we need to get you migrated over to a purple SIM and retest.

Please let me know if you would like to do further tests with us and I can arrange this.

Kind Regards,

Terri

Virgin Media Forum Team

Running out of data? Check out our top Mobile data tips

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@Terri_P - good questions - i should have said your advice was 'iffy' for me - how it affects others is down to their settings

so comments in red

Again, personally, I have 3 Android mobiles running on a Virgin Mobile 4G connection--two Samsungs bought from Virgin and a third party OnePlus3 and again, after making all the changes, not one of us show data usage when the mobile handset for data is switched off, so I can't see how the information provided in my post is "iffy". 

The hourly usage you are seeing is not actually data being used on the hour, but this is how the logs display it. If the data usage is minimal, the logs will timestamp it on the hour. So if you see the hourly usage, there is still something on the handset that is overriding your handset setting if mobile data has been set to OFF.

on my phone 1 data is on but wifi is the 1st call for use - all apps are set to use wifi 1st -  any apps that give an option background data usage is set to off

on my phone 2 data is off - again wifi is set to be used on all apps - any apps that give an option background data usage is set to off

Why does this happen only on Virgin Mobile?....Does it? I've seen these questions asked on other mobile provider forums.

i can only post as i find - i have a backup phone on 3 - that shows no data usage - data is set to off and my data usage is zero - its an old blackberry if that matters

i have checked bills on 2 of my daughters phones - vodaphone and O2 - neither show the same pattern of data usage through the night - maybe its there but the difference is it does not show on the bill 

You are right, this is an issue that we are investigating--Rich and I are looking into this and sending all details over to our mobile support and tech teams to investigate. Currently, we've been advised that this is a handset issue.

it may be a handset issue - i have no idea - but it seems to be common across all iphones and many android phones - maybe its an OS issue but hard to believe

You haven't confirmed in your post if you have gone through all of your apps and OS settings to only connect/update via Wi-Fi.

as said above - afaik all apps are set to use wifi only - but that is irreverent surely on one phone of data is set to off

Does the data usage showing on the hour every night when mobile data is switched off ever cause you to exceed your usage?

no i am within my data limit - thats ok to me but there are far too many posts where users on low data deals are being charged £3 a day and say they are still within their data limit 

Have you tried this with your GPS switched off as well?

dont use GPS - its off permanently 

Are you using a purple SIM card or a red one? If you are using a red one, we need to get you migrated over to a purple SIM and retest.

i am on red sims afaik - with the problems of phones locking etc i will stay with that until you push my arm up my back

Tony
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@tony

Are in in dispute about your #2 phone actually using the alleged data?

If you are, there's a simple test that can be done with the APN settings.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

@teabagwrote:

@tony

Are in in dispute about your #2 phone actually using the alleged data?

If you are, there's a simple test that can be done with the APN settings.

in dispute ?? - more tying to understand - its not got to the point of using data over my allowance so thats not a problem but with data off surely it should show zero data use

as to a test - quite possibly but you will have to tell me what it is

Tony
0 Kudos
teabag
Wise owl
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Dispute was a strong word :-)

As a test, you could just add another APN with just these settings filled in

Name: tester

APN: tester

MCC: 234 (should already be there)

MNC: 30 (should already be there)

Press save and then select it, turn data on, check data is not working.

Just select the Virgin APN again after testing it for a night or so, delete the tester APN when finished testing.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only £9 and £8 sims. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

thanks - will do that and see what happens

ermmm - turn data on, check data is not working.- surely something wrong there

Tony
0 Kudos