cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6416

Degs
Tuning in

I had a call yesterday from 08001836416, but missed the call, I checked on line and it was suggested that it was a hoax Virgin media call. I got a call again today, it was from what sounded like an Indian man and he said he was from Virgin Media, and was offering me a V6 box for free. He asked me to confirm my post code and first line of my address, I gave him the post code and the number, he then asked for the Road, I said you must already know that, he said he needed it to confirm who I was, so I said that I didn’t know if he was from Virgin. He decided then to cancel the call and rang off. 

2 hours later he rang again, but I again missed the call by a fraction, and received a voice message from the same number this also was from an Indian  sounding man who sang the line. “she’s got a ticket to ride”. and then rang off.

It would be good if someone from Virgin could verify that this is not one of their numbers 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Squirtle_96
Joining in

It's a genuine Virgin number. I agreed to have a new V6 box fitted and its appeared on my online account with the agreed date and time 🙂

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

68 REPLIES 68

VM2012
Tuning in
I've just had the same experience this evening. The man was really vague about what he was trying to offer me and I refused to give him my address and asked him to email me the offer but he said he can't as it's only for loyal customers and for a limited time. I asked again what the offer was and he just said it was for loyal customers. I asked if he was trying to upsell to me or to offer me a discount on my current package and he again just said it was an offer for loyal customers so I told him I wasn't interested. Like you say, would be interesting to know if it's genuine.

gbailey93
Just joined

I have also just received this call. He was an indian speaking man and said his name was Brent and from the Loyalty team. 

He reeled off a load of information to me r.e the V6 box and i have been specially selected and it was a limited offer for loyal customers. Before even asking me was i interested or giving me chance to speak, he asked me for my Post code and address. I advised this was a convenient time to talk as just about to feed my baby, he asked me again for my post code and address. I advised that I did not have time to speak to him, and if he could give me a number to call virgin media directly I would call back at a later time (I also stated to him that I will not provide secure information over the phone unless I have called VIrgin myself through 150 on my landline to ensure It was a not a spam call). He couldnt give me a number and advised it was a limited offer for loyal customers. I said it may be limited I can call back in approx 30 mins if you can give me a number to which he refused and hung up the call. 

I wonder if he will call back, like he did with me, in approx 2 Hours

Mostly I wonder what the scam is.

Got a call from this number at 15:01, left a voicemail but its just completely silent.

I did actually ring Virgin Media a few days ago wondering if I could be upgraded to 100mb since the 50mb package isnt offered anymore - Lucky I didn't answer if it is a scam or I would of been suckered into it.

tobycd26
Joining in

Just had a call from this number offering me a new mobile package. Not due for 5 months? I hung up when he wanted cash off me....Obviously a scam.

I, too, have three missed calls from this number.  It would be really helpful if one of the Virgin Media moderators could check this out for us, so we know whether to block the number or not.  Ordinarily I'd block it anyway, but I have recently been sent a text (genuine) by Virgin Mobile which states that someone will be calling me soon.  For peace of mind, it would be nice if VM could state the number from which the call will come so it doesn't get blocked.

Squirtle_96
Joining in

It's a genuine Virgin number. I agreed to have a new V6 box fitted and its appeared on my online account with the agreed date and time 🙂

Yup had 3 or 4 calls same number,not answered any so far,as been driving,seems odd to me,free v6 box,what's in it for them and for us.

Hi all, 

Thanks for your posts and a big welcome to those of you who are new around here 🙂

I can confirm the number is one of our Outbound Sales Team and the offer is a genuine one. 

Depending on your contact preferences, we will from time to time call our customers if we think there is deal that they will benefit from. 

Although I understand where some of you are coming from, we also need to ensure we are complying with data protection and protecting your details too so this is why the outbound team will always confirm your address and also they'll ask for 3 characters of your memorable word. 

If ever you are unsure and can't be 100% of the caller then the option is always there to have the notes saved on your account and for you to call us back on 150 / 0345 454 1111. The team can then request a callback from the Outbound team again. 

I hope I've been able to alleviate some of your concerns 🙂

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs