cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0800 183 6416

Degs
Tuning in

I had a call yesterday from 08001836416, but missed the call, I checked on line and it was suggested that it was a hoax Virgin media call. I got a call again today, it was from what sounded like an Indian man and he said he was from Virgin Media, and was offering me a V6 box for free. He asked me to confirm my post code and first line of my address, I gave him the post code and the number, he then asked for the Road, I said you must already know that, he said he needed it to confirm who I was, so I said that I didn’t know if he was from Virgin. He decided then to cancel the call and rang off. 

2 hours later he rang again, but I again missed the call by a fraction, and received a voice message from the same number this also was from an Indian  sounding man who sang the line. “she’s got a ticket to ride”. and then rang off.

It would be good if someone from Virgin could verify that this is not one of their numbers 

68 REPLIES 68

If it was a genuine call, what was it with the voice message that I received, “She’s got a ticket to ride”? It doesn’t instill confidence in a company that encourages its customers to think that they are being scammed. wouldn’t it have been better just to say he would call back when more convenient. As I and many others were obviously in doubt about whether this was a genuine call, perhaps a different approach is needed, or an advertised Virgin telephone number could be used.

Thank you, Kath F, for confirming that this is a bona fide VM telesales call.  However, as a loyal customer (with VM since they took over Telewest), I would like to say that I don't appreciate this gimmicky approach.  If VM has a genuinely good deal to offer its long-standing customers, send us an email setting out the offer in clear, concise terms, so we can make a considered and informed decision about whether to take it up.  Treat us like adults, not overgrown children.  And stay well clear of telesales calls - whether solicited or unsolicited, they are a nuisance.

nigeyb
On our wavelength

@savik2 wrote:

send us an email setting out the offer in clear, concise terms, so we can make a considered and informed decision about whether to take it up.  Treat us like adults, not overgrown children.  And stay well clear of telesales calls - whether solicited or unsolicited, they are a nuisance.

^ Couldn't agree more

It's often very hard to understand the offer as it's from someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. They also often seem to be under a lot of pressure to close the deal.  

As @savik2 states, just email out the offer and let us decide - most people can well do without these intrusive, high pressure calls

@Squirtle_96 wrote:

It's a genuine Virgin number. I agreed to have a new V6 box fitted and its appeared on my online account with the agreed date and time 🙂

Thanks Squirtle_96

So what is the deal?

nigeyb
On our wavelength

nigeyb wrote: 
So what is the deal?

So, answering myself, it appears that this is the deal....

Virgin TV V6 box: Only available for customers with Mix TV package and above and Virgin Media broadband minimum VIVID 100 (up to 100 Mbps). Content available to view depends on your TV package. 

You can install yourself, or pay for an engineer which costs £20. Is that correct? Is that what the call offers?

I keep getting these calls (but have yet to answer one) however, as I'm on the Player TV package, I'm guessing I'm not eligible unless I upgrade to Mix TV, which I don't want to do.

If it's convenient I'll answer next time they ring and update this thread

nigeyb
On our wavelength

nigeyb wrote: If it's convenient I'll answer next time they ring and update this thread

As it turned out it was yet another call (third one in about two months) trying to get me to use Virgin mobile services. V annoying. Each time I have the conversation I ask them to put a note on my account to say I am not interested in switching to Virgin Mobile. 

Cam619
Tuning in
Got a very patronising sounding person phone me at 8:30 pm said they were from virgin mentioned price hike then asked for my details, I had no reason to trust the call as I didn't recognize the number and info given could easily have been found out, I don't want calls to tell me what I already know about and offer me things I would much rather be emailed instead of a spam like telesales call

You must be either nearing the end of or at the end of your contract and you're rolling over month to month.

What Virgin and other companies do is offer you deals like you have ,,, but theres a price you pay ,,,,,,,,, another contract .
Thats what they get out of it.

If it is for real, this is not the way to go about it. I've had 9 missed calls from this number just today, they've called me every 30 minutes even though I made it clear when they first called me on Tuesday that I didn't want them to call during working hours!

Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MariekevB,

Thanks for posting. Sorry to hear you've had a lot of missed calls from the sales team. I appreciate these can be inconvenient.

Are you still getting these calls since posting?

Are these calls to discuss a Virgin Media or Virgin Mobile account?

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"