Menu
ThreePhase
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

0010020250100 Charges

I found a couple of 40p charges on my bill I phoned Virgin media and the person told me he would refund the money. The excused was that I had gone over the amount of character's in a text message so it sends it as a photo message, which is absolute garbage as I had not sent any messages on the day it was billed. I think that tis is a fault with the system that Virgin know about but are unwilling to tell people about, as most people would not question it. They were very quick to refund the money which suggests to me that this is a common problem

Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: 0010020250100 Charges

You sent text messages to a contact in your address book that is an email address instead of a mobile number.

The easy solution is to prefix each email contact with a marker (such as a first name that starts "[email]") so you know not to use it when texting.

0 Kudos
Sotonlass
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes I've just found similar 40p charges on my account.   I don't send pictures by phone either.  I do send emails sometimes, but this surely comes under the heading of internet usage and I've never found charges for doing that before.  So yes - a blip on the system.  Like recently I had google is not working come up as a problem on my phone.  I phoned google and they couldn't see why but reset everything..... so then I had to set up all my settings again!!  Iwas also supposed to get a credit for another charge back in the summer - and I can't see that has happened yet either.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Rich_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sotonlass,

Welcome to the community and thanks for posting.

If you sent this as an email from your contact list then it's likely it was converted as an MMS which uses mobile data at a charge of 40p per message.

Thanks

Rich
Forum Team

Can make calls, but no data? Check your "Virgin Mobile APN settings"

0 Kudos
windydick
Tuning in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

This has only started since my wife started using iphone.

Your Forum Team reply begs some questions, the main one being; why conversion to picture (MMS) message rather than ordinary text???  Would I be cynical in thinking this might be because VM can charge 40p a pop, rather than using our "unlimited" texts??

0 Kudos