cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

virgin not taking my DD

davethewraith75
Joining in

I've had my DD set up since October last year, I've not cancelled it or made any amendments to it, yet Virgin did not take the money out for two months and then cut me off in July. The money for the bill was IN my account at the right time but I was charged a late fee along with the two months worth of bills to get my service back.
I've tried to ring to find out why this happened, but its impossible to get through,
I also want to find out why the DD comes out on a different day each month, as its impossible to keep up with. It states that its the 9th of each month, which was NOT what I agreed to at the beginning, - I told them that I don't get paid till the 19th, but the phone number they give you to change the DD date seems to be permanently busy.

PS. none of the "Boards' apply to this subject. So I'll just pick 'virgin media app'.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@davethewraith75 Check your credit history file.  If VM cancelled your contract and/or are demanding late payment charges, there's a high chance your credit history has been marked with late payments and even default under a credit agreement.  That will linger on your credit history visible to energy suppliers, telcos, ISPs, water companies, landlords, credit card companies, lenders & mortgage companies, even large employers for the next six years.

If you are wholly in the right here, and VM screwed up, you need to require VM to sort the mess out, including refund of late payment charges, compensation for the problem and the hassle of sorting it out (I'd ask for a couple of months charges credited to your account?), and most importantly correcting any credit history entries caused by this.  Hopefully the forum staff can get the wheels in motion to sort that out pronto.  If they can't, or VM still bungle putting things right, then launch a formal written complaint, stating your terms for settlement, and requesting a "deadlock letter" if VM won't settle on your terms.  Sometimes complaints get handled acceptably, sometimes they don't, but with a deadlock letter you can immediately escalate to CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme.

If you've somehow contributed to the problem, things are a lot less clear.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

Tom_F
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi davethewraith75, thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear about the issues you've had with your Direct Debit. I'm unsure what would cause it to be cancelled without request to be honest, we would usually notify you about any changes to your Direct Debit. Have you been able to speak with your bank?

You can set up a new Direct Debit via your online account (virg.in/myVM) and can also change the payment date from there as well - just head to the My Bills section after signing in.

With regards to the payment dates being different, the date can sometimes vary slightly, if the payment date falls on a weekend for example then it would be taken a day or two later. 

Tom

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

@davethewraith75 Check your credit history file.  If VM cancelled your contract and/or are demanding late payment charges, there's a high chance your credit history has been marked with late payments and even default under a credit agreement.  That will linger on your credit history visible to energy suppliers, telcos, ISPs, water companies, landlords, credit card companies, lenders & mortgage companies, even large employers for the next six years.

If you are wholly in the right here, and VM screwed up, you need to require VM to sort the mess out, including refund of late payment charges, compensation for the problem and the hassle of sorting it out (I'd ask for a couple of months charges credited to your account?), and most importantly correcting any credit history entries caused by this.  Hopefully the forum staff can get the wheels in motion to sort that out pronto.  If they can't, or VM still bungle putting things right, then launch a formal written complaint, stating your terms for settlement, and requesting a "deadlock letter" if VM won't settle on your terms.  Sometimes complaints get handled acceptably, sometimes they don't, but with a deadlock letter you can immediately escalate to CISAS, the industry arbitration scheme.

If you've somehow contributed to the problem, things are a lot less clear.

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello davethewraith75

Sorry this has happened 

I can see the DD is all set up now for future payments

If you would like me to look at changing the date to after your Pay day then please let me know 

Gareth_L

changing the payment to around the 20th would be brilliant as I get paid on the 19th,

but genuine question- it comes out on weird days of the month, its just not consistent, would a standing order not be better? its set for the same date then, but seeing as payments are digital, I don't understand why payments have to vary, unless its 13 months of the year we have pay, not 12?

Thanks for getting back to us @davethewraith75

I would like to help you with your Direct Debit issue.  I am going to send you a quick private message.

Regards

Lee_R