cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

terrible experience with the Retentions team

bedkingdom
Settling in

We had a terrible experience with the Retentions team  we called to cancel due to connection issues and they talked us in to staying offering a deal at £45 when we called back 1 hour later they said they cant offer the deal now it is £47 we also have a leased business line with virgin we are cancelling all virgin services and will never use them again They also break ofcom regulations which we have reported them for so glad we recorded the calls! https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/broadband-and-phone-firms-put-...

4 REPLIES 4

bedkingdom
Settling in

We had a terrible experience with the Retentions team  we called to cancel due to connection issues and they talked us in to staying offering a deal at £45 when we called back 1 hour later they said they cant offer the deal now it is £47 we also have a leased business line with virgin we are cancelling all virgin services and will never use them again

They also break ofcom regulations which we have reported them for so glad we recorded the calls!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/about-ofcom/latest/media/media-releases/2019/broadband-and-phone-firms-put-...

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

I'm all for pointing the finger at VM if they do break the rules, but I'm afraid you've not explained what they've done wrong?

Retentions discussions are always offers, if you accept it then and there, there is a contract.  However, there's no requirement in either Ofcom regulations or UK law to require VM to hold an offer open if you want to go away and mull it over, so if you ring off the company are free to say (and usually do) that the offer has lapsed. 

The nearest rights under UK law here are that if you enter such a contract, then you've got a 14 day cooling off period during which you can cancel it without penalty if you've changed your mind.  But that applies only after VM offer a deal and you accept it.

japitts
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Andrew has pretty well nailed what I was also thinking. VM Retentions offers are "of the moment" and advice on here is always to be willing to accept any offer immediately and not to use the (otherwise valid) "I'll ask the cat" approach that Martin Lewis suggests.

If you were happy with the offer you were given, why didn't you accept it and secure it during that call?

With that in mind, what specific Ofcom rule do you think VM are in breach of?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Molly_T
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Bedkingdom, welcome to the community! Thank you for posting. 
Sorry to hear of your recent service issues and unhappy experience with us. 

Thanks to our VIP's Andrew and Japitts for some really solid advice here. 

First and foremost I hope the issues with your service have now been resolved! Please let me know if not, and I will do my best to help. 

Sincerest apologies that the second retentions agent you spoke to was unable to match the offer of the first. 
We do not usually complete contract changes via the forum, however I would like to offer some help and support considering your experience, and so will send a PM to confirm a few account details so I can help. 

You will find the PM in the top right corner of the page in your Inbox. 

We can then return to this public thread with an update when possible. 

All the best!

Molly