cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

taking over an account

cmjags
Tuning in

Can a broadband account be transferred. My friend passed away and I thought I could take over from him but I could get a much better deal as a new customer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

That makes sense.
Don't create a new account, that will probably complicate things.

You need to contact VM customer services. They have a process for dealing with bereavement as evidenced by the form linked above. It may or may not be the current form, but probably best to speak to a human and get it sorted.

If cost etc.. is a concern, then once you are the account holder, you can look at better details or perhaps go through the retention process.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

6 REPLIES 6

BaldrickBravo
Superfast

I am sorry for your loss.

Transferring an account like that would be an unusual thing to happen.

You would be a new customer and have a new account created. If you live at the same address, in effect that would be that the responsibility for paying the bill would transfer to you.

You don't give much information, but I suspect you and your friend are sharing a home and you need continuity of the broadband connection?

gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
You can, yes.

https://www.virginmedia.com/content/dam/virginmedia/dotcom/documents/corporate/Bereavement-Transfer-...

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi

You were correct, sorry for lack of detail. Basically wanted to know if it was an option to simply transfer and for me to take over with my details or simply open an account with a broadband company.

That makes sense.
Don't create a new account, that will probably complicate things.

You need to contact VM customer services. They have a process for dealing with bereavement as evidenced by the form linked above. It may or may not be the current form, but probably best to speak to a human and get it sorted.

If cost etc.. is a concern, then once you are the account holder, you can look at better details or perhaps go through the retention process.

Thanks for your advice. I will contact customer services and take it from there. If I take over the account ,I would be a new customer and as such have the option of using other broadband outlets before locking into a contract for 12 or 18 months

Hi cmjags,
Thank you for reaching back out to us, as your friend has sadly passed away, please accept our condolences, our Bereavement team will handle this for you, you get 3 choices, you can cancel the account, transfer the account into your name if you live at the same address and wish to carry on with the services, this option if stayed the same will not re-contract you, 3rd option is cancelling and taking a new customer deal in your name, if you have a phone with the service you may lose the current phone number taking this option.

You can find out more here?

Regards

Paul.