Menu
Davidb3
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

partner had contract left and want to take over

Me and my partner split about 2 months ago she had a virgin media account and I ve found she not paid it, what I’d like to know is would I be responsible for the bill?, can I cancel her contract and have my own?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: partner had contract left and want to take over

Whoever is the named party on that contract is the one responsible for the debt.

You can get a transfer of responsibilities to take over the account if it was in her name before. £20 fee on top. Else the case is looking at having her flagged as moved out, that debt put with her and you opening a new account there.

Thats all providing she is the named Party and not you. If it’s you named then you just need to change the bank details over as the account is technically yours, the debt however would be yours too and so would the mark on the credit score that should’ve appeared from non payment.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
All posts made are personal opinions as I do not work for VirginMedia.
Kudo's a post if you find it useful and want to say thanks
Mark a post as a helpful answer if it answers your question

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: partner had contract left and want to take over

Hi Davidb3

If you do wish to pay and close it then just have one in your name you can call to do so if you can clear security via 150 or 0345 454 1111.

Or as Shafreya has mentioned you can pay the debt and TOR (Transfer of responsibility) the account. 

You'd need to class this as a goneaway if you want to close this account without paying for it if there is debt and it's linked to your ex's name and you do not wish to clear this and take over the account that is in her name currently yourself

You can only arrange this via Collections. 

They can start the non pay disconnection process to all you to set up an account under your name.

However, if the debt she has generated links to your credit file which it may do if you have lived at the same property then, in order to stop this adversely affecting you and possibly preventing you from having an account with VM,  you would need to clear this from your file first by disputing it with the credit file teams (Both VMs and Equifax/Experian) and making any debt recovery teams aware of the relevant forwarding address for the account holder if you know this.

I know it's a bit messy but these situations truly can be so my sympathy to you about that.

I hope whatever you decide to do it gets sorted soon.

Take care.

Kaz 😊

Ex VM employee. Just here to help Smiley Happy
0 Kudos