cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

moving home and being put into a new 18 month contract

deano2012
Dialled in

Hi all' we are moving home soon and i have informed the virgin media team via live web chat and after i told them my new address etc i have been sent a new 18 month contract' i have not long just been put into a new contract back in march which is for broadband only deal' i have a new account number too' is this the norm for moving house as i have not changed my broadband package thanks.

dean.

87 REPLIES 87

When were you advised this had been updated Istarling? Have you had a bill since this was advised?

Rob

Hi Robert,

I was advised last Friday (a week ago) that it had been updated. Not had a bill since but I am due one soon.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Istarling, 

Thank you for your reply on this 🙂 

I am glad I was able to assist via PM, and hope it cleared this up for you 🙂 

Zoie

Hi, I moved address in September 2022, and have retained the same services from my old address into my new one. I've just checked my contract online and I've been signed up for a new 18 month contract without my agreement.

My understanding is that as long as my services didn't change, my existing/old contract length would be retained.

My old contract price is still showing on my bills upto the date of my existing/old contract end date.

I believe this is a breach of contract terms on Virgin's part and would appreciate someone getting back to me urgently as it's impossible to get through to anyone on chat or phone!!!!

Hey TartanTerror49,

Welcome back to the community and thanks for taking the time to post.
I’m sorry to hear of the issues that you’re having with your contract after a home move, I would be happy to take a further look into this for you but first I would need to confirm a few details via private message, please look out for my message and we can get started.
Kind Regards,
Steven_L

Just to interject. It is a pity that mistakes by VirginMedia are a constant cause of concern for many customers. My son has had two moves done in the past 12 months and both ended up with new contracts and both showed up as 'changes of package' while neither have been. It would appear that VirginMedia is being allowed to do all they can to ensure they maximise contract lengths and 'bonus' charges on any form of change at all. Not one of the main bodies is of any use when Trading Standards, Competition and Markets Authority and Ofcom should be taking far greater notice of 'mistakes' made by VirginMedia. 

It is not, and I have no doubt that BT, Sky etc are the same,  a reliably working system when VirginMedia place extra financial demands upon customers in what can only be the hope that most are too dull to notice. But the same errors made time and again are not errors but measures imposed by VirginMedia to ensure maximal gain from customers. If VirginMedia cannot train agents to do the job properly then they should not be given so much leeway by regulatory authorities. Putting things right for those who do complain does not mean that VirginMedia are not likely making £,000s off those who do not pick up on the errors made so readily by VirginMedia. Disgusting when consumer protection laws mean absolutely nothing in the face of these telecom giants.

jimmynels
Joining in

It looks like Virgin have done the same to me, pretty cheeky. 

My contract should be ending next month, i have gone to check that today, but it seems due to a house move in January my contract has started again for 18 months until 2024! This would not be so bad, if in fact my discounts are still due to end next month, but it appears they are.

I made no changes at all to my package. 

Can someone at Virgin please contact me to discuss? Its not on to begin a new contract without my consent. 

Hey @jimmynels,

Welcome to the Community Forums and thanks for the post.

Sorry to hear about this mishap with your contract, as per the Terms and Conditions when moving house you do enter into a contract but we would keep the price the same for the full 18 months of the contract. What we will need to do in this case is invite you into a private message so we can confirm some details from you. If you haven't used our private message feature here before the way to do so is to go to the homepage and click the purple envelope in the top right hand corner. 

Speak to you soon. Joe

Hey @jimmynels,

Glad we were able to discuss this in private message and have this sorted out for you.

Everything we have discussed in the chat will process through for you as explained, if you do have any further issues, please do reach out and we would be happy to help.

Thanks. Joe

Did they get this sorted for you?

I've got a house move coming up in the summer and wondering if it would be easier to just cancel now under the price change options.