cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

end of promotional period

luvmytech
On our wavelength

A relative's 18 month promotional period for the ultimate oomph bundle is coming to an end next month.. 

Does this mean that a one month rolling contract will replace it or a longer minimum period locked in?  If the former is worth renegotiating? 

thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@luvmytech wrote:

is it worth trying to renegotiate a better deal in return for agreeing to a new long term contract? 

Yes you could. But bear in mind that any legacy items on the old contract will be replaced. For example if you had Mix TV on your old contract, it would be changed to the new equivalent Mixit TV.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey luvmytech, thank you reaching out and for your question.

Okay so if your relative's contract is due to run out soon and if they don't do anything in this time then yes it would go into a one month rolling contact. 

However let say you made a change today for example then this would put you into a new 18 month contact. I hope this helps. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

is it worth trying to renegotiate a better deal in return for agreeing to a new long term contract? 

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@luvmytech wrote:

Yes you could. But bear in mind that any legacy items on the old contract will be replaced. For example if you had Mix TV on your old contract, it would be changed to the new equivalent Mixit TV.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

It's worth trying for a discount, but bear in mind the following:

1) VM don't want to make discounts too readily available, it's not just a case of asking, and you may find it a n endurance trial to get through on the phone to the retentions team.  The Whatsapp method can work, but as it isn't real time may take a while.

2) Full price is very high, few people are paying it - VM's average revenue per broadband customer was less than £49 a month in most recent investor communications, showing that the majority of customers fit into two categories: on slower speeds and minimal content bundles, and/or they have a sizeable discount. 

3) As and when you get through to Retentions, asking for a discount alone doesn't get you far.  Neither loyalty or fairness count for anything, the only thing that counts is whether the agent really thinks a customer will leave.  Know what you'd pay for an equivalent service from other suppliers (including their new customer discounts) and quote that to the agent.  Whether via voice call or Whatsapp, your opening gambit needs to be something around "thinking of leaving due to cost of living, need to cut back, seen great offers from (eg) Sky or BT, so wondering about cancelling...."

4)  If you get a reasonable offer over the phone, you have to take it then and there - regardless of what the agent may say, phone discount quotes are only valid during the call concerned, and they don't stay on the table for you to consider.   With the Whatsapp method, because it isn't real time you do get more time to think before accepting.  Screenshot any offered and accepted deal details.

thanks for such detailed advice. 

excuse my ignorance but how does one contact them via Whatsapp?  I'm used to using whatsapp but can't find any details of the number. 

thanks 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @luvmytech 

The WhatsApp number is 0730 532 7112

You can sometimes log into your online account (My Virgin Media) via a mobile handset and there will be a link to speak to VM by Whats App. 

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

When coming to the end of my contract I call Retentions and say that it's expensive, and I always get a better deal. It might help that I'm a quad play customer who has a perfect payment record. These days it's for an 18-month contract.

--
Hub 5, TP-Link TL-SG108S 8-port gigabit switch, 360
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM hub 5 broadband connection